Coava (Portland, Or) - 10% off and Free Shipping - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
RyanP

Postby RyanP » Jul 12, 2018, 7:39 pm

TomC wrote: But the natural Ethiopian tastes like 1980's diner coffee.

Hah, I'm really enjoying the natural and it's certainly not diner coffee. But again, I went for the lighter drip roast.

Thanks for chiming in. I guess this is a case where I'm going to go forth with them ignoring the "roast type", as the Peru is also "drip", but it's producing fantastic espresso.

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Jul 12, 2018, 7:40 pm

jammin wrote:^wow. They've changed a lot then. When I first tried them years ago they were on the bleeding edge of light

That's what I expected too. I haven't had their coffee in so long, I didn't have a reference, so I just assumed everything "drip" would be too light to pull shots with.

The Kenyan Nyeri Kagumoini AA I roasted a few days prior had a roast development of 21%. It's not sour, likely fine for espresso, and it has less development than the Colombian, which I'd hazard to guess has a similar density. So it would appear they roasted the bejesus out of the Colombian.

RyanP

Postby RyanP » Jul 12, 2018, 7:53 pm

I'm going to be back in Portland on the 22nd. I'll plan to stop in to the shop and pick up the Colombian and maybe another one roasted to drip and report back...

*sigh*

Postby *sigh* » Jul 12, 2018, 8:50 pm

TomC wrote:Yeah, the last two I specifically chose to have roasted for espresso. I thought that would take it just out of the realm of sour acid bomb light. I could probably pull good shots with the drip roast. But the natural Ethiopian tastes like 1980's diner coffee.

I had one of their Kenyan and Ethopian. espresso roasts a few months back (can't remember the exact details, they were a gift). Both were darker than I expected but not oily like the Colombian you show. They both ended up being super delicious, especially in milk, but we're definitely borderline on the dark side per my preference.

RyanP

Postby RyanP » Jul 12, 2018, 10:29 pm

Here's the Kilenso roasted for drip

Big difference from