Chris' Coffee Roast Dates

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
eldookae

#1: Post by eldookae »

Anyone know how to decipher Chris' Coffee roast dates? I just received some coffee from them today and noticed a label was put on it, but it was a second label, they covered the first one up.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I don't know, but you could ask them. They are ultra responsive. Last I checked, they have online chat, too. It was a little weird: I tried it once and it was the owner's daughter. She recognized my name and said "Hey Dan, what's up?" I really expected a chatbot. :lol:
Dan Kehn

Tony163

#3: Post by Tony163 »

I don't know but I just emailed with MacKenzie one of the owners about this subject since I think they have some of the best coffees and feel a bit frustrated that they don't have roast dates. Bottom line is that they are working on getting them on their coffees. That said everything they sell ships out within just about a week to a week and a half of roasting at the latest. I fully trust her based on my dealings with her and her company.

braxtonjens

#4: Post by braxtonjens »

I've been wondering about the Chris Coffee roasted coffees...
I love really nice exciting coffees, it my wallet likes good coffees at a good price much better.

Thoughts on the green, roast & flavor quality from them?
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

TL;DR -- Commercial coffee suppliers and their commercial clients don't worry about roast dates as their coffee is always fresh enough when opened.

Roast dates from roasters that focus on the restaurant/cafe trade may or may not be present. These roasters generally have clients that go through bags so quickly that roast date is not an issue. The service supplied to them is that the shelf with bags about to be opened never goes bare and never gets so deep that the back of the shelf is "stale", by the definition agreed implicitly by the restaurant/cafe and supplier.

Whether "Roaster X" provides coffee you enjoy at a price you find reasonable is a very personal thing. Some find TIm Horton's or Dunkin' Donuts preground to be at that balance point, others pursue into the $50-200 or more a pound range. Even within that higher-priced range, individual tastes have a lot do do with it.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Can you post a pic of the label? Often there is a date that can be extracted from the data.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"