Chris' Coffee - no roasted date

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Scott2.0

#1: Post by Scott2.0 »

Hi all, I decided to order a scale from Chris'. They seemed to be pretty well respected. Since I exceeded the free shipping threshold, I decided to throw in 2 lbs of coffee. It arrived today with no roasted date. Does that seem unacceptable to anyone else? Seems odd to me.

What would you do? Brew it and hope for the best? Any way for me to determine freshness? Just taste it?

Thanks!

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

Maybe call Chris Coffee and ask them?

Scott2.0 (original poster)

#3: Post by Scott2.0 (original poster) replying to chipman »

Yeah, I emailed them. I'm more so curious to hear others' feedback regarding how unusual it is to get coffee from a seemingly well-respected vendor that doesn't include a roast date on their bags. In other words, am I making a big deal out of nothing or should I be pissed (I am).

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

If you didn't check if the coffee had a roasted date before you bought it, I wouldn't get worked up if it came without one.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

isleofman

#5: Post by isleofman »

It was most likely roasted the day it was shipped. I live close enough to CC that I have been to their facility a couple times. I got a tour of their roasting operation when I picked up my machine a few years ago. It's a high output roastery servicing large corporate accounts. They don't devote warehouse space to roasted inventory. Greens are roasted and out the door.

I have never ordered beans from them - oily and charred isn't my thing - but they throw in bags now and then when I order parts. I think those had dates on them. Not sure why yours didn't.

#6: Post by Scott2.0 (original poster) »

yakster wrote:If you didn't check if the coffee had a roasted date before you bought it, I wouldn't get worked up if it came without one.
That's sort of my point. Should I have to check if a well-respected vendor is properly marking their product? I've never thought to ask a seller if they put the roast date on the bag. I thought it was standard practice, at least for those that seem to have a good reputation.

#7: Post by Scott2.0 (original poster) »

isleofman wrote:It was most likely roasted the day it was shipped. I live close enough to CC that I have been to their facility a couple times. I got a tour of their roasting operation when I picked up my machine a few years ago. It's a high output roastery servicing large corporate accounts. They don't devote warehouse space to roasted inventory. Greens are roasted and out the door.

I have never ordered beans from them - oily and charred isn't my thing - but they throw in bags now and then when I order parts. I think those had dates on them. Not sure why yours didn't.
Good to know, thanks. I'll see what they say. Either way, my expectations are low but it was cheap and I figured I'd give it a shot.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Roast dates are common but by no means standard practice in the industry. If it's important to you, check first.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

IMAWriter

#9: Post by IMAWriter »

Scott, as was said, your coffee was most likely shipped within a day of roasting. FWIW, CC isn't just "seemingly" respected, they ARE respected. They have been selling both professional and consumer coffee and espresso machines for decades. I know Chris VERY well, and their CS is as good as it gets.
I'd just call, speak to Mary or one of the other reps. She can track down your order and give you a roast date.

#10: Post by Scott2.0 (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Roast dates are common but by no means standard practice in the industry. If it's important to you, check first.
Interesting take. I can't think of a bag that I've ordered that didn't show the roast date. Isn't it important to everyone? How else can one know that they're buying fresh beans?