Canadians - Name Your 3 Top Roasters - Page 10

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spentpuck

#91: Post by spentpuck »

MountRoyal wrote:If you're looking for George Howell Terroir in Montreal they have it at the new Myriade espresso bar on Rue St.Viateur, might save you a trip to Plattsburgh.

THnx Mount Royal! I need to get around Montreal a bit more I guess......I made it to InGamba last week, they had a great selection of Intelligentsia, Counter Culture etc but most of the roast dates were a "little while ago"? The owner was not there so I will go back and see how fresh they get?? problem lies with clearing customs on this end...no duties or taxes just days of waiting for paperwork to confirm....hence the quick drive to Plattsburgh.........Myriade this weekend!

SimonPatrice

#92: Post by SimonPatrice »

By the way, Myriade hasn't had any Terroir for the last month at least. I think Humble Lion had some recently though. Maybe call before to make sure.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

crazy4espresso

#93: Post by crazy4espresso »

john_ertw wrote:My notes on the People's Daily are creamy/syrupy, balanced and fruit, but I didn't get any of the chocolate taste described on the bag either as espresso, macchiato, or cappuccino. Keep in mind I didn't play around with dose too much (used 16g in my stock double basket). Overall it is nice and I would buy again.

Keep in mind this blend changed in the last few months and the berry flavour is no longer there as the Ethiopian beans were removed from the blend.
Much improved today. I guess I needed to give the coffee some time. A lot more balanced and the fruity mango taste was now evident. A bit creamy and with more body. There were some bitter tones, not a bad thing, creeping in. Maybe that's the chocolate they're referring to. Beans are Brazil and El Salvador, according to the package. Curious to see what happens in the next couple of days. :)
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

spentpuck

#94: Post by spentpuck »

spentpuck wrote:THnx Mount Royal! I need to get around Montreal a bit more I guess......I made it to InGamba last week, they had a great selection of Intelligentsia, Counter Culture etc but most of the roast dates were a "little while ago"? The owner was not there so I will go back and see how fresh they get?? problem lies with clearing customs on this end...no duties or taxes just days of waiting for paperwork to confirm....hence the quick drive to Plattsburgh.........Myriade this weekend!

Made it Myriad yesterday ....cool place very busy, hit in the head by door more than once by yoga mat toting students! LOL I was surprised to see only one choice for espresso in store?? 49th pulled on a Mirage that could use a good polishing! Black cat and 49th by the bag all had at least 7 days since roast dates. (common Canadian shipping issues for sure!, we are so 3rd world with this stuff it is embarrassing!) overall good experience will go back.....Thanx for the info

spentpuck

#95: Post by spentpuck »

SimonPatrice wrote:By the way, Myriade hasn't had any Terroir for the last month at least. I think Humble Lion had some recently though. Maybe call before to make sure.

Next on my list! Thanx

bleubleu

#96: Post by bleubleu »

Myriade serves very consistent shot and yes, the coffee is always surprisingly fresh! One of my favorite coffee shop in Montreal.

Too bad its a bit small otherwise i would spend entire week ends there!

MountRoyal

#97: Post by MountRoyal »

spentpuck wrote:Made it Myriad yesterday ....cool place very busy, hit in the head by door more than once by yoga mat toting students! LOL I was surprised to see only one choice for espresso in store?? 49th pulled on a Mirage that could use a good polishing! Black cat and 49th by the bag all had at least 7 days since roast dates. (common Canadian shipping issues for sure!, we are so 3rd world with this stuff it is embarrassing!) overall good experience will go back.....Thanx for the info

Which Myriade did you go to? The original one downtown by Concordia or the new "mini Myriade" on St.Viateur corner of Jeanne-Mance or Esplanade in Mile End? The new one is where they had lots of George Howell last time I was there (over a month ago). I met Anthony, the owner, and chatted with him. He was planning on doing mainly single origins at the new place, didn't want to sell espresso blends there.
Caffe In Gamba is a great place too, so many great coffee brands sold there. If you go at the right time you can catch fresh deliveries and get fresher coffee, depends on the timing...just keep checking. Not so crazy about the prices though.

bleubleu

#98: Post by bleubleu »

Oh, i didnt know there was another one besides the one on concordia! Gotta try it next time im in the Mile End.

dougz

#99: Post by dougz »

I don't feel like I need to tell them not to ship older than 2 days, they've always shipped the same day as they roast. Since I live in Edmonton I get the coffee a day after roasting.
Usually they're good, but sometimes I get them a 4-5 old, and if it takes 3-4 days to get to me..

Spitz.me

#100: Post by Spitz.me »

spentpuck wrote:Made it Myriad yesterday ....cool place very busy, hit in the head by door more than once by yoga mat toting students! LOL I was surprised to see only one choice for espresso in store?? 49th pulled on a Mirage that could use a good polishing! Black cat and 49th by the bag all had at least 7 days since roast dates. (common Canadian shipping issues for sure!, we are so 3rd world with this stuff it is embarrassing!) overall good experience will go back.....Thanx for the info
In Toronto Manic Coffee gets Intelligentsia coffee 3 days post roast. However, unless they're local, all other cafes tend to get beans about a week or so after roast date.
LMWDP #670