Canadian Roasters: Canucks...What are you drinking?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
canuckcoffeeguy

#1: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Fellow Canucks, this old Canadian Roasters thread is now closed:
Canadians - Name Your 3 Top Roasters

So I started a new one here.

To all the Home Baristas in the Great White North -- where are you buying your beans these days? And what are you enjoying?

Lately, I've been buying from the usual suspects: Detour Roasters, Pilot Roasters, Social Coffee and Tea Co., Daterra Farms offerings from idrinkcoffee. And Intelligentsia from Manic Coffee in Toronto.

What else am I missing...eh?

Velomane

#2: Post by Velomane »

I'm a fan of 49th Parallel's Epic Espresso.

wkmok1

#3: Post by wkmok1 »

Hello Ryan.

Can you please tell me which of the Daterra coffees you like? I see 4 on their website. Thanks.

Winston
Winston

treyrox

#4: Post by treyrox »

Transcend out of Edmonton does some clean roasts.
And Rave Coffee(UK based) just opened a new outpost in my small town in AB.
I've heard mixed reviews so far and will sample the beans once home, next week.
While Phil and Sebastian gets good reviews, all of the beans I have had from them have roast flavors I do not care for.

spiffdude

#5: Post by spiffdude »

Currently, Social Coffee out of Ontario. I find their current Sidama Ardi quite interesting. It's an Ethiopia Heirloom from the Guji region.

I order it online and it is at my doorstep 2 days alter, about 2-3 days off roast. Free shipping too, how can i argue with that!
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

canuckcoffeeguy (original poster)

#6: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) »

wkmok1 wrote:Hello Ryan.

Can you please tell me which of the Daterra coffees you like? I see 4 on their website. Thanks.

Winston
Hi wkmok1. Currently, I like the Daterra Sweet Blue, described as a "spicy chocoloate bar". That's how it tastes. Full bodied, pleasant, but not overwhelming acidity, and chocolate, chocolate, chocloate aftertaste. Redbird Coffee in the U.S. is the only other retailer I've seen that sells Sweet Blue. They're all pretty good from what I remember (I've tried them all), but I like the Sweet Blue for some reason.

mfogliet

#7: Post by mfogliet »

Social People's Liberation has always been in my top 3 Canadian roaster espresso blends.

The Sulawesi offering currently at Pilot really wowed me. In the chemex the first few days, then as a French press to finish the first week and finally as espresso after the 2nd week. Each method was delicious and this coffee peaks for espresso late so is very difficult to let go stale. In fact, you will wish you let more of it sit for two weeks.

Speakeasy is out of Hamilton and Windsor. The shipping is steep but you can pick up on Saturday last I checked. I haven't purchased beans myself but what I have tried at local shops makes them worth mentioning.

canuckcoffeeguy (original poster)

#8: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) »

Will look into Speakeasy in Hamilton. Hadn't heard of them before.

Has anyone purchased beans from Sense Appeal in Toronto? I have been thinking about trying them.

Also, I dropped by Boxcar Social in Toronto last week and they carry George Howell, Heart, Ritual, and Phil and Sebastien beans. (Thank you Spitz.me for the tip about this place!)

Finally, one of these days I'm going to get Sam James' Cut Coffee espresso blend to pull at home. They always pull excellent shots at his Toronto shops. Anyone pulling this at home?

doubleOsoul

#9: Post by doubleOsoul »

I haven't liked much of anything roasted here so I roast my own. I haven't met anyone in town who roasts their beans.

Spitz.me

#10: Post by Spitz.me »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Will look into Speakeasy in Hamilton. Hadn't heard of them before.

Has anyone purchased beans from Sense Appeal in Toronto? I have been thinking about trying them.

Also, I dropped by Boxcar Social in Toronto last week and they carry George Howell, Heart, Ritual, and Phil and Sebastien beans. (Thank you Spitz.me for the tip about this place!)

Finally, one of these days I'm going to get Sam James' Cut Coffee espresso blend to pull at home. They always pull excellent shots at his Toronto shops. Anyone pulling this at home?
You're welcome! Ryan, you have to keep one thing in mind with Sam James retail bags. They may be past, or close to it, the 2 week mark. They actually pull their coffees well outside of our 'comfort zone' for purchasing bags of coffee. They will tell you it's fine, but it's fine only for a cafe where the coffee out of a sealed bag is gone in hours instead of weeks.

My Go to = Black Cat Classic My Wife's Go To = Social's Sidama Ardi (amazing with milk)
But I'm always trying new stuff.

I'm getting the 2 offerings from Ritual this Friday from Boxcar. The owners are a great bunch of guys and their more variable rotation of coffee is adding some nice local options for us in Toronto. More and more cafes are using local roaster coffees. I love to support our local roasters, but not thrilled to lose international options since we can't always get international offerings cost effectively and fresh.
LMWDP #670