Canadian Roasters: Canucks...What are you drinking? - Page 40

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#391: Post by baldheadracing »

FYI, Rabbit Hole Roasters in Montreal just won Roast Magazine's "Best Micro Roaster for 2022" (Micro means under 100,000 lbs/year) https://www.rabbitholeroasters.com/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

baldheadracing
Team HB

#392: Post by baldheadracing »

For pourover folks who want to taste excellence, Rogue Wave has a pre-order open on their two lots of Abu Geisha. $72CAD for two 100g bags. Oct 25/26 roasting date planned. I won't be buying as I have too much coffee on hand at the moment, but every Abu Geisha that I've ever had has been excellent.

https://www.roguewavecoffee.ca/collecti ... -pre-order

redbone

#393: Post by redbone »

Stereo Coffee Roasters (Toronto)

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

kelly1

#394: Post by kelly1 »

I have tried a few batches from Kop,The-blue Mountain junior ,just placed a order for Doppelgänger from phil and Sebastian ,kelly

rolex

#395: Post by rolex »

The new hype brand is "September" being sold at Eight Ounce, they are using the same Diego Bermudez beans as Dak Milky Cake and a number of others

I had a negative experience emailing them so I am not a fan right from the get go, but I am curious to hear what someone more educated than me thinks of their product. I gave my money to Dak instead

slappadabass

#396: Post by slappadabass replying to rolex »

I ordered three bags of their espresso roasts and none hit the mark. They're also somewhat local to Ottawa.

It's also Kyle Rowsell's place.

I certainly was expecting a lot more but was left very disappointed.

Subtext on the other hand is fantastic.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#397: Post by baldheadracing »

September only started using their new roaster in August, and, as they're a start-up, they had to immediately transition from the Diedrich they were co-roasting on to their own roaster, a Loring. I haven't had any of their coffee since they've moved, as, in my experience, learning a new roaster isn't like riding a bicycle.

chamchi

#398: Post by chamchi »

Ordered a bag of Wilton Benitez Gesha from September as well as Alchemist from Dak through Eight Ounce. I've had a few cups so far and it's...just okay? I wasn't really wowed by any flavours or aromas so far. Hopefully some improvement as I dial in better but the cup seems muted in some way.

Dak's Alchemist is fantastic though. Fruity, fairly clean, vibrant. If I had to choose between the two at the same price, Dak's Alchemist is an easy winner. It was also cheaper. My first bag from Dak, and based on this bag I'd happily order again.

I've generally had great experiences but also some duds with many roasters: Hatch, Subtext, Luna, Monogram, Rogue Wave, Seth Taylor, Social. I don't know if I'd rank my experience with September as highly as these. Hopefully they improve with time and I just caught them on a bad day.

John49

#399: Post by John49 »

rolex wrote:The new hype brand is "September" being sold at Eight Ounce, they are using the same Diego Bermudez beans as Dak Milky Cake and a number of others

I had a negative experience emailing them so I am not a fan right from the get go, but I am curious to hear what someone more educated than me thinks of their product. I gave my money to Dak instead
Ordered two bags of Diego Bermudez Castillo in September, poor service and funky coffee, will not recommend this roaster.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#400: Post by baldheadracing »

FWIW, that coffee is supposed to be funky. From what I remember, I let the coffee sit for about six weeks after roasting before brewing, and it could have used a few more weeks of rest. From my notes, I had the last of it in July. (May roast)