Canadian Roasters: Canucks...What are you drinking? - Page 38

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#371: Post by baldheadracing »

I said above that I wouldn't order any more Abu, but Rogue Wave is selling the rest of the coffees that were used at the World Brewer's Cup, which was just held in Milan at HOST.

Ply Pasarj represented Canada (and Rogue Wave) and placed third in the first round and fifth in the medal round.

$54 for about 70g + 40g of two Panama Geishas.

https://www.roguewavecoffee.ca/collecti ... tition-set
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#372: Post by PIXIllate »

I saw that email. Glad I only do espresso.

Earthy

#373: Post by Earthy »

Wow that is so amazing! Congrats to them! That said, I wouldn't trust my dialing in skills with that quantity...

ac

#374: Post by ac »

Man there's just too many good roasters to try. I usually rotate between De Mello, Pilot and Sam James out of laziness/familiarity but was feeling a little adventurous. Underdog by Outpost is fantastic. Scooped up a bunch of beans from Subtext, excited to try those. Looked through the thread, Detour and Rogue look interesting will have to give those a try.

I've tried:
Pilot
Sam James (Cut Coffee)
Hatch
Hale
De Mello
Social
Propeller
Java Roasters
Outpost
The Library
Mofer

lmk if there are other local roasters I should check out.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#375: Post by baldheadracing »

Earthy wrote:Wow that is so amazing! Congrats to them! That said, I wouldn't trust my dialing in skills with that quantity...
He gave an extremely detailed recipe. Masses in and out, water chemistry, times, temperatures, pours, flow rates, height of the kettle above the brewer, grind settings, etc. I didn't have his brewer (origami w/Kalita filters) so I used V60 w/KONO filters instead. He gave grind settings for 1Z-presso and Comandante; based on his timing/flow rates I guessed what the equivalents would be on the Apex.

There was enough for coffee for seven cups using his 12.5g recipe, plus another cup of leftovers. What's interesting is he used different grind settings for the two coffees, so grind 8.5g of one coffee, adjust the grinder, grind 4g of the second coffee at a finer setting, mix the two, and brew. The cup of leftovers was good, and I've had two cups using his recipe. When combined with confirmation bias, both have been simply spectacular and the best cups since the last time I had Abu farm's Geisha. The remaining five cups' worth are now individually vac-packed and sleeping in the freezer.

Back to more normal coffee - I'll be drinking/pulling various coffees from 49th Parallel for the rest of the year.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

kitkat_22

#376: Post by kitkat_22 »

I'm new here. I thought I'd share my two favorite coffee roasters in Vancouver, BC.
- Moja coffee (organic Imara beans for my husband's americanos, house blend beans for my lattes)
- This place has a special place in my heart as they were the ones who introduced me to the world of good tasting coffee..we've been buying beans from them for years without knowing how to properly dial in a shot, but several months ago I finally emailed them asking how to make the coffees at home taste as good as the ones in store. And lo and behold months later...here I am. Bought a scale, expanded my lineup to pourovers, reading this forum, watching youtube, eyeing new gadgets everyday.. anyhow I digress, but they're the reason I'm on this forum. But also they make good (in my opinion) coffee :)

- Prototype coffee
- This place is hidden away and I wouldn't have found it if it wasn't recommended to me by a friend. Husband loves them, and even I (who previously never drank black coffee, always had some milk) have developed the appreciation for unadultered pour overs

Hope that helps

century

#377: Post by century »

Vereda Central coffee roasters.
Based in Oakville. Two locations.
Always had great roasts from them.
Family run, all Colombian beans.

I drink a lot of their blends, mostly for Espresso.

I jumped between them, Detour, Social, and Square Mile.
Started with Propeller this week, first time for me.
Checking out De Mello once I get through my freezer beans.

Earthy

#378: Post by Earthy »

Over on the Decent forum a few of us Canadians bought from Hatch this month. We got the El Paraiso Lychee, and it was great. Like those lychee flavoured candies in Asian restaurants. I just checked and the price just jumped, but it is really interesting for those willing to pay the price. We were not generally impressed by the Eco-Enigma.

On a personal note, I recently enjoyed Escape's Special Sauce.

mbbrew

#379: Post by mbbrew replying to Earthy »

I also got the Lychee, the Luna, and the anaerobic decaf, all El Paraiso. Fantastic coffees. I haven't tried any of their more normal offerings yet, but I will probably pick up the Gatugi Wet Mill as my more normal coffee next order, along with a few of the experimental ones.

redbone

#380: Post by redbone »

Trio from Detour Coffee in Dundas Ontario.

Muzo Giko Hill, Rwanda (Red Bourbon, Washed)
El Tono, Costa Rica Filter (Catuai, White Honey)
Altos de Maria, Colombia Filter (Caturra, Colombia, Castillo, Washed)
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549