Canadian Roasters: Canucks...What are you drinking? - Page 37

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Earthy

#361: Post by Earthy »

mbbrew wrote:Not based in Canada, but ordered some Rogue Wave... The Catiope was one of the wilder tasting coffees that I've brewed.
Rogue Wave does roast interesting coffees. I've had some from there with really unique flavors. That is precisely why I go to them every now and again. Can't say I enjoyed them all as espresso, but fun to try. I don't see the Catiope, so I guess they are out.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#362: Post by PIXIllate »

Just placed an order with Rouge Wave. Thank for the heads up.... I think.
I wasn't exactly floored with my last order from Pallet so this may not be my cup of tea but you gotta give everyone a shot.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#363: Post by baldheadracing »

PIXIllate wrote:Just placed an order with Rouge Wave. Thank for the heads up.... I think.
FYI, I've only ever ordered/received cupping roasts from them. No idea what their espresso is like. FWIW, they have an interesting Natural lot from Gesha Village, Ethiopia coming for Nov 18 and a Panama Abu Washed and ASD Natural coming Nov 30.

However, as much as I like the Abu farm's coffees, I pre-ordered 49th Parallel's 12 days of Coffee so I'll be good for December https://49thcoffee.com/products/12-days-of-coffee (Use code "49THAPP10" for 10% off)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#364: Post by PIXIllate »

baldheadracing wrote:FYI, I've only ever ordered/received cupping roasts from them. No idea what their espresso is like. FWIW, they have an interesting Natural lot from Gesha Village, Ethiopia coming for Nov 18 and a Panama Abu Washed and ASD Natural coming Nov 30.
I just NEVER drink a cup of coffee. It's straight espresso for me and MAYBE a decaf cappuccino in the evening once in awhile. Any brewed coffee I taste now just seems untenably diluted after a couple of years of drinking straight espresso every morning. I have a V60 and tried it once with my Monolith. The GF ended up having both cups.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#365: Post by baldheadracing »

I sometimes go for months without pulling an espresso :shock:.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#366: Post by PIXIllate replying to baldheadracing »

WHA ?!?!?! I can see why people who DON'T have espresso machines drink coffee in other ways, and I can see how people would find it so frustrating to learn how to make espresso that they can't be bothered.

But for someone who has the equipment AND knows how to do it...........

Head......... broken.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#367: Post by baldheadracing replying to PIXIllate »

I used to drink pretty much only espresso.

Once I started roasting I started cupping (comparing) coffees regularly and drinking lighter roasts - those roasts just didn't taste that great with my conical-burred espresso grinders (HG-One, Pharos), so I drank a lot of pourover.

A couple years ago I did the Alicorn mods to my Vario and finally had a grinder that produced light-roast espresso that I enjoyed. However, by that time I was able to brew pourover pretty well and my "best" grinders were pourover-only. (As an aside, I do have SSP HU burrs on order so I'll see what espresso from those is like.)

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#368: Post by PIXIllate replying to baldheadracing »

I have a Vario that I tore apart and aligned. It's sitting in a cupboard waiting for a second life. Once I got my Monolith Flat I noticed that it was MUCH harder to get anything overly bitter out of espresso so avoiding the sour/tart end of the spectrum became much easier. I "accidentally" "won" a pre-order for a Monolith conical set for delivery in April. I think I have a problem........

I'm only being half serious about making pourovers. I'd be very interested in hearing any methods for a V60 that you think might turn me around in drinking lower concentration coffee beverages.

Am I correctly remembering you only drink decaf?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#369: Post by baldheadracing »

Decaf is for afternoon/evening; typically with oat milk. I guess that is espresso but I don't think of milk drinks as espresso.

I can handle about 25g of "real" coffee in the morning. Three single espressos or two V60-01's or a Syphon, etc.

As for V60, I don't recommend it. While it is easier to get a mediocre V60 than it is to pull a mediocre espresso, I'd argue that an excellent V60 can be harder to make than an excellent espresso. On the other hand, an excellent immersion brew using a Clever Coffee Dripper (or Hario Switch if you want to be trendy) is pretty much a matter of coffee, water, scales, a good grinder, and watching a James Hoffmann video (the same things that will give you a mediocre V60 :twisted:).

As for "problems," we share them. I have a Key on order ...

mbbrew

#370: Post by mbbrew »

Earthy wrote:Rogue Wave does roast interesting coffees. I've had some from there with really unique flavors. That is precisely why I go to them every now and again. Can't say I enjoyed them all as espresso, but fun to try. I don't see the Catiope, so I guess they are out.
Lately I've wanted interesting, or even just outright weird, as much as I want "good" and they've done a pretty good job of filling that niche. I've got plenty of go-to roasters for more traditional coffee located closer but the shipping hasn't been bad to Pittsburgh when I want something in their style.