Canadian Roasters: Canucks...What are you drinking? - Page 36

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
redbone

#351: Post by redbone »

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you prefer something closer to a traditional Italian espresso flavour. Two Ontario roasters come to mind.

1) Java Works in Mississauga https://www.javaworks.ca/collections/espresso and up the street from them.
2) Barocco Coffee Roasters. https://baroccocoffee.com/collections/whole-bean-coffee

These are the links to their espresso blends. Read the item descriptions for what appeals to your taste.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Radio.YYZ

#352: Post by Radio.YYZ »

caféyyz wrote:Hello everyone..just joined the forum.
Not sure where I went wrong but...why am I not enjoying my morning coffee?
After using Keurig pods for so many years I decided it was time to start enjoying my morning coffee for a change,so last month I bought a burr grinder (De'Longhi KG89) a Cuisinart CHW-12C drip machine and I grind the beans just before brewing in the morning.Wife and I have one cup with breakfast and that's about it but I actually prefer the taste of espresso that I get from my Nespresso Essenza Mini so I'll have one as well right after breakfast.
My first whole bean blend (Delta) was ok...then moved up to Illy and that was way better...then moved up to Pilot (Monument) and.....can't drink it...just awful,so disappointed.So yesterday I bought a bag from Bean Wise (they use beans from Reunion) and it was almost as good as Illy but still overall feel like I'm missing something.
I have two bags NAGA SINGAGE and ARDI NATURAL in the cart at Social in Richmond Hill (pick them because they're close by) but before I buy it my question is...
Because I love the taste of my espresso,should I stick to espresso bean blends or single origins or dark roast blends for my drip machine....can any one recommend something or point out what I'm doing wrong so I can start enjoying my coffee?
Much appreciated...
Those two from social are good, the naga is washed and ardi is natural so flavour profile will be different, also roast level would make a difference.

I have had both of those but my equipment is different than yours so there would be a different result. What kind of coffee flavour profile are you looking for? You do not need an espresso blend to make espresso. Social also has their own espresso blend as well.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

caféyyz

#353: Post by caféyyz »

Hey redbone.. thank you,glad to be here.
I will definitely check them out and I figure might as well start with the espresso blends to be safe cause I just don't known enough about coffee beans in general to get it right on my own.
Cheers

caféyyz

#354: Post by caféyyz »

Hey radio.yyz
I hear you man,like I was telling redbone,because I like the taste of an espresso I figure I'll start there as far as flavour profile.I like full bodied / dark coffee but don't know how else to describe it since I've not had much experience with drip coffee at all.I grind it medium and about 1.5 scoops per cup. If not espresso blends what blends should I look for that will come close to the traditional espresso flavour I get in an espresso shot (even in my Essenza mini).
Cheers

Radio.YYZ

#355: Post by Radio.YYZ »

caféyyz wrote:Hey radio.yyz
I hear you man,like I was telling redbone,because I like the taste of an espresso I figure I'll start there as far as flavour profile.I like full bodied / dark coffee but don't know how else to describe it since I've not had much experience with drip coffee at all.I grind it medium and about 1.5 scoops per cup. If not espresso blends what blends should I look for that will come close to the traditional espresso flavour I get in an espresso shot (even in my Essenza mini).
Cheers
If you like deep chocolatey flavours with no acidity then yes do darker roasts and try a blend where they balance out a flavour profile.

Usually single origin coffee like the two you mentioned come from single location/crop and depending on the process and roast level you get flavours of the cherry into your coffee.

So the ardi on a light and medium roast has fruit aromas like blueberry and some citrus, there is always a major coffee flavour which would be chocolate and some bitterness and complexity.

The naga had tartness like cherry.

I usually drink lighter roasts and single origin coffees. I pull them as shots from a espresso machine and use textured milk to make a cortado or a flat white.

So if you want a deep chocolatey complex flavour, stick with darker roasts and try People's Daily blend from social. I would go in and ask Billy to help you pick a coffee.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

caféyyz

#356: Post by caféyyz »

Ok sounds good radio...I'll drop by and ask for Billy and probably pick up that People's blend instead of the other two I mentioned. I want to try the blends that redbone mentioned as well.
What about the grind, should it be more fine or more course? I do a medium grind and use about 3 scoops for 2 cups (approx 6oz cups)..is that about right?

mbbrew

#357: Post by mbbrew »

Not based in Canada, but ordered some Rogue Wave because I was looking for someone in North America roasting Laurina and really liked all of the coffees I got from them. They've got some unique stuff like Ninety Plus small batches and I enjoy their omniroast level for both filter and espresso. The Catiope was one of the wilder tasting coffees that I've brewed. I also have some Rabbit Hole coming because I really wanted to try a Yunnan origin.

caféyyz

#358: Post by caféyyz » replying to mbbrew »

Good to know..I'll be trying the ones closest to me first and see how it goes.I think I read here somewhere that someone ordered from Muldoon's in Mississauga and the beans were still warm when they arrived.I might give them a try as well,just gotta get the right roast.I just got an email from Social recommending I try the Farmer's Collective or People's Daily. We'll see how it goes...thank you all!
Cheers

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#359: Post by baldheadracing »

mbbrew wrote:Not based in Canada, but ordered some Rogue Wave because I was looking for someone in North America roasting Laurina and really liked all of the coffees I got from them. They've got some unique stuff like Ninety Plus small batches and I enjoy their omniroast level for both filter and espresso. The Catiope was one of the wilder tasting coffees that I've brewed. I also have some Rabbit Hole coming because I really wanted to try a Yunnan origin.
I like that Rogue Wave has 40g-45g small batches and sample packs.

@caféyyz - I wouldn't necessarily recommend Rogue Wave to you. Their coffee is generally roasted light and your equipment will probably make sour coffee from the beans that they sell.

Barocco like Redbone recommended would be a much better choice in my opinion. I like their coffee for dark rich Italian-style espresso.
- bigger flat burr makes always better grinding result than smaller one - H. Lee

caféyyz

#360: Post by caféyyz » replying to baldheadracing »

Hey,racing....I'll definitely check Barocco out,thanks very much.
Cheers