Canadian Roaster Recommendations - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#61: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

mwynne wrote:I picked up a bag of Monogram (Calgary) yesterday. I'll try to report back on how it is! https://monogramcoffee.com/collections/ ... 8753312821
They're on the list of things to order. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Supporter ♡

#62: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

1canuck2 wrote:I agree with you. I am in for similar dollars with my Synchronika and Niche Zero, so not looking to cut corners on the beans. I guess what I mean about Gold Star is, I cannot find better coffee that costs more AND justifies that additional cost.
And I get to buy a 1lb at a time, so get more variety of beans (instead of bulk buying one bean type for 5lb to get a decent price). I go through ~6lbs of coffee a month between drip and espresso. That's basically $100 a month at Gold Star. They have a lot of variety. I am usually drinking milk based espresso drinks though...

Recommend your current fave roaster and the specific bean to get and I'll give them a try.
I find that even with a 340g bag I'm ready for a change by the end of it and usually, taking shipping time into consideration, I'm starting to notice the beans degrade by the last few shots. I do tape over the one way valves and freeze the bags as soon as they arrive but that only slows it down. I'd rather have fresher than a discount on bulk. Plus, I'm still into trying different things. Maybe if I find something I would like to use daily it would be different.

I'd say try 49th parallel if you haven't already. They have a deal on a three bag set of their standard espressos (Old School, Middle School, Epic).

mwynne

#63: Post by mwynne »

On the Monogram Los Santos...

Still need to finesse it a bit, but have a tricky time dialing it in. Might be the age of the beans (didn't check the roast date before getting the bag, whoops). It's definitely a lighter roast than I usually go for in my espresso (will also try it as a pourover, I think it'll be really nice there), but it's nowhere near as bright/floral as I was expecting. Instead it's very.... mild? Like it's roasty, but I haven't got much on either the really light or really dark end of the flavour spectrum. I'm a bit surprised - I think pleasantly?

LMWDP #673

redbone

#64: Post by redbone »

Latest batch. Double old school.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Supporter ♡

#65: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

mwynne wrote:On the Monogram Los Santos...

Still need to finesse it a bit, but have a tricky time dialing it in. Might be the age of the beans (didn't check the roast date before getting the bag, whoops). It's definitely a lighter roast than I usually go for in my espresso (will also try it as a pourover, I think it'll be really nice there), but it's nowhere near as bright/floral as I was expecting. Instead it's very.... mild? Like it's roasty, but I haven't got much on either the really light or really dark end of the flavour spectrum. I'm a bit surprised - I think pleasantly?
Thanks for checking in. There does not seem to be any brewing parameters on the web site for Monogram but the do have a "Brewing Hotline" info@monogramcoffee.com. I would strongly encourage you to write to them and ask for some parameters for dialing in. I do that with every coffee I order unless it is already one the web. I try to start by getting to the roasters recommendation and then maybe branching out from there. That approach has been helpful for me. IN you case you might want to mention the Lever machine.

Supporter ♡

#66: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

redbone wrote:Latest batch. Double old school.
Not quite sure what you mean by old school. Any specific comments on that roaster or the flavor profile of that coffee? Obviously it's a favorite of yours.

redbone

#67: Post by redbone replying to PIXIllate »

Ethiopia being the origin of coffee and a old school classic lever Arrarex VAM from the 50's-60's.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

mwynne

#68: Post by mwynne »

I really liked the first shot I got with this Espresso Malinal from Caffe Fantastico here in Victoria. A bit light for my usual taste, but not sharp, delicate and sweet.

LMWDP #673

Supporter ♡

#69: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Currently working on a bag of Transcend's Mario Salazar from Costa Rica. Pulling it as suggested at 19g in 40g out about two weeks off roast (in the freezer for most of the time). It's turned out to be quite enjoyable. Big hit of sweetness with red apple and a clean finish. Lingering taste of maraschino cherry if I get everything right.

https://transcendcoffee.ca/collections/ ... costa-rica

Supporter ♡

#70: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

mwynne wrote:I picked up a bag of Monogram (Calgary) yesterday. I'll try to report back on how it is! https://monogramcoffee.com/collections/ ... 8753312821
Just ordered from Monogram:

Luis Choquehuanca Lot #1 - Espresso
Los Santos - Warmth Espresso

Will report after I'm done the two other bags I have from Transcend.