Canadian Roaster Recommendations - Page 22

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Mike0

#211: Post by Mike0 »

I tried pilot's heritage blend and the roasting on the beans were very inconsistent. Bags says roasted med/Dark but I found it was all over the place.

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#212: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

I really can't recommend Hatch highly enough. For people looking for a good solid espresso blend Gamma is the best, and most consistent, I've tried. If you want something even darker but still with no oil on the beans then Blackout may be more to your liking.

Spitz.me

#213: Post by Spitz.me »

A great thing with Hatch is that they courier super fast in the GTA if they have bags on hand - which is nearly always. Like you can order early morning and get your coffee later that afternoon. At the latest it's the next day.

I like the Hatch offerings (I've ordered several times and probably will continue to keep the Hatch stuff in rotation), but I don't find anything special about any of the espresso type blends - I still regularly drink the Manic Espresso blend.
LMWDP #670

Supporter ♡

#214: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Lately I've found Gamma to be incredibly reliable and flexible. Pull it slow and tight and you'll get cocoa and caramel. Pull it quicker and a touch longer and you'll get the citrus/floral version. It's the best traditional espresso blend I've had but I'll try Manic again now that a few years have passed and my technique has improved.

rdenotter

#215: Post by rdenotter »

I've enjoyed coffee from a Vancouver roaster for years now. Free shipping if you order enough, and the beans usually arrive two weeks off roast, which is perfect for me. Costco does sell their beans, as do several grocery chains, but never as fresh as direct from Vancouver. Check out Ethical Bean Coffee and give their "Sweet Espresso" a try. "Lush" is a tiny bit darker, and better in a latte or as a pour-over. They offer a six-pack of small bags so you can figure out which flavour suits you best. (I'm just a satisfied customer, nothing more!) :D

Spitz.me

#216: Post by Spitz.me »

PIXIllate wrote:Lately I've found Gamma to be incredibly reliable and flexible. Pull it slow and tight and you'll get cocoa and caramel. Pull it quicker and a touch longer and you'll get the citrus/floral version. It's the best traditional espresso blend I've had but I'll try Manic again now that a few years have passed and my technique has improved.
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion after a few years of honing your craft. Lol

I'm absolutely not disagreeing with you and that Hatch is a prime choice in Canada. I just really like the Manic blend as it continues to be a go-to for me even when I veer away for 5lbs from Hatch. The latest iteration is very sweet.
LMWDP #670

Supporter ♡

#217: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to Spitz.me »

I looked at ordering the Manic Espresso again but it is the same issue as before, prohibitive shipping. They obviously are not focused on mail order, which is fine but it makes it hard to try it out or put it in rotation. Hatch is free shipping with three bags, Nektar is free over $35. You should try their dark roast. No oil and about like Blackout from Hatch.

John49

#218: Post by John49 »

Manic Espresso is from Social Coffee Roasters and from the description it's probably Peoples Daily, free shipping in Canada after $35. Five pounds for $82.

Supporter ♡

#219: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to John49 »

It's not. It is a custom blend for Manic. The Peoples daily is unfortunately quite pedestrian compared to the espresso offerings from Hatch.

Spitz.me

#220: Post by Spitz.me replying to PIXIllate »

The Manic blend is the best thing Social makes of all their own espresso offerings. I know Mark Prince really likes their People's Daily, but I really don't like it. I like the Ardi offering they do though.
LMWDP #670