Canadian Roaster Recommendations - Page 20

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
fruitfly
Supporter ♡

#191: Post by fruitfly »

DAK beans are available at Eight Ounce Coffee in Canada. My sister gave me some for Christmas, and it was excellent-sophisticated and subtle.

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#192: Post by Splunge »

Sorry, last off topic post, but the shipping time here is relevant to Canadians. This just arrived from Amsterdam, to my small town north of TO only six days post roast. Maybe I just got lucky this time but that's much faster than my recent orders from Wendelboe, Manhattan and Square mile (Yes, I'm on a trendy and expensive kick ATM!)
Chris

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#193: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Wendelboe takes about 9-10 days to me.
Haven't ordered from Manhattan or Square Mile yet.

Supporter ♡

#194: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Started the first of six 100g bags I ordered from 3rdwave beginning with a coffee from Seth Taylor, his Cafe Da Lala. Notes on the bag were blueberry, strawberry and raspberry. I got none of that. It was quite bland, boring and rather lifeless. The Roast Vision put it at 27 - Light which is where Tim Wendelboe is most of the time but this is the most visually uneven roast I've had in a long time with blotchy, scorched tip beans and a lot of silverskin. I pulled it both fast and slow using my normal lever style profile with little difference.

I have another one of his coffees so hopefully that one shows better or I'll have little incentive to explore this roaster further.

another bluenose

#195: Post by another bluenose »

I'll be very curious to hear your findings with the Milky Cake espresso!

(Six days is amazing! ...Airmail or courier?)

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#196: Post by Splunge »

another bluenose wrote: (Six days is amazing! ...Airmail or courier?)
DHL. Turns out discussing DAK isn't OT as the roasters are indeed Canadian, they just happen to be roasting in Amsterdam... 8)

This coffee is bonkers - I love it!

The espresso roast is fascinating, I've never had anything like it. The way I'm pulling it atm, the cardamom is almost distractingly forward - though below that there's still plenty going on, led by the vanilla.
I'm using my default 1:1, 6 bar, no profiling, at 94° for the espresso. The filter still needs a few more days, will probably end up with a leverish profile and slightly higher temp for that.

My wife's not going to be pleased as I've just ordered another two kilos of the filter and my dedicated coffee mini freezer is full to bursting. :D
Chris

Supporter ♡

#197: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Second coffee from Seth Taylor was a Kenyan. Came up lighter at 30-31 on the Roast Vision. Same issue with the visual inspection of the beans. Same papery overriding muted/musty flavour profile. On this one I did get some of the brown sugar that was promised but it was not a great experience. Based on this I doubt I'll be coming back to Seth Taylor any time soon.

Next up are two coffees from Stereo.

another bluenose

#198: Post by another bluenose »

Thanks for that stellar report!
I had read that they were transplanted Canadians.... just wish they were roasting here rather than in Amsterdam! It sounds like a wonderful espresso! I wish I known about it (& bought a bag) when EightOunce had the Milky in stock.

Supporter ♡

#199: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Mix Tape from Stereo coffee roasters. Roast looks more like what I'm use to. Even and showing 25/26 on the Roast Vision which is Medium Light/Light. Notes are as described on the bag with the cherry being the dominant flavour. Better faster without an extended soak. Not super exciting but a solid shot.

Spitz.me

#200: Post by Spitz.me »

PIXIllate wrote:Second coffee from Seth Taylor was a Kenyan. Came up lighter at 30-31 on the Roast Vision. Same issue with the visual inspection of the beans. Same papery overriding muted/musty flavour profile. On this one I did get some of the brown sugar that was promised but it was not a great experience. Based on this I doubt I'll be coming back to Seth Taylor any time soon.

Next up are two coffees from Stereo.

I've never bought Seth stuff because when I saw it it was for 250g and the price was dumb. I also don't care for Uber light coffee. For all the positive feedback this toaster has gotten, your experience sounds depressing. Are people just enjoying it because they spent a lot?
LMWDP #670