Canadian Roaster Recommendations - Page 19

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
rolex

#181: Post by rolex »

And my wife found two Hatch bags in Kitchener. Might open these tomorrow

another bluenose

#182: Post by another bluenose »

I am going to order a few bags to try from Hatch, as it has been so strongly recommended here. :D

I would really like to get my hands on a bag of "Milky Cake" from DAK (Amsterdam roaster), but have not seen anyone carrying beans from Dak's, here in eastern Canada. Have you, Chris?

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#183: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to another bluenose »

Have not. Hatch is easily on par with any North American roasters and in my experience more to my liking than Tim Wendelboe overall. I have yet to order Manhattan.

rolex

#184: Post by rolex »

I'm just an amateur so I can't compare to any of the big names but it was good coffee! I have had more interesting flavors from Seth Taylor so far but have only had 2 Hatch offerings so far. And very small sampler bags!

I'm actually on the hunt for an amazing decaf because I have always enjoyed a regular espresso drink after dinner or even much later night. But I keep being told by everyone how bad it is to do so.. so here we are

And when I looked last, Hatch had only 1 type available and not much of a description. Seth Taylor has at least a few and they sound really yummy, especially the fruity Panamanian.. but I am 100% open to suggestions!

Currently making my way through this one, Kerugoya Kenya blend. We've been conducting Oat Milk "trials" here at home to see what we personally like best. Today was the Cailifa brand, pretty good!

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#185: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

I've had the Daterra from Hatch and it was alright but FAR from their best offering. Starlight is the 4th (and lightest) offering in their "core" series and for me my least favorite but that is a personal preference thing.

I just started the first of two bags I ordered from Nektar with pretty good results. The GUATEMALA - PETRONILO Martinez pretty much delivers the notes on the bag which are Dark Chocolate, Orange Zest, Cherry. It's a medium roast coming in at 22/23 on my Roast Vision and extracting quite easily. I have a bag of their Mexican - NUEVO PARAISO in the freezer.

I also received an order from 3rdwave which is a multi roaster service. I got 6x 100g bags with two each from Stereo, Rosso and Seth Taylor. I'll report back.

another bluenose

#186: Post by another bluenose »

Thanks for the feedback, Chris!

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#187: Post by Splunge »

Hatch delivery is excellent. I'm about 45 mins north of the city and often get my orders the next day.
Chris

espressosnob_LT

#188: Post by espressosnob_LT »

Dak is often available from Eight Ounce. And I have bought some at Milkys (Dundas St W).

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#189: Post by Splunge »

PIXIllate wrote: Starlight is the 4th (and lightest) offering in their "core" series and for me my least favorite but that is a personal preference thing.
I wasn't a big fan of Starlight, but decided to give it another try as I like so many of their other roasts. I got better results when I cranked the temp up to 96°, a fair bit higher than I'd generally go for what appears to be kind of a med-light roast (I don't have a roast vision). I got nice florals and strong but still balanced acidity - not sure what stone fruit tastes like though!

I should note though that my shot style preference has changed from the first time I tried this coffee. I've gone from a fairly concentrated 1:1.5 leverish profile maxing out at 9bar, to an even more concentrated 1:1, usually pulled at a straight 6bar.
Chris

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#190: Post by Splunge »

another bluenose wrote: I would really like to get my hands on a bag of "Milky Cake" from DAK (Amsterdam roaster), but have not seen anyone carrying beans from Dak's, here in eastern Canada. Have you, Chris?
I've got a kilo of the Miky Cake filter roast and 500g of the espresso on the way. Will see how long it takes to get here!
Chris