Canadian Roaster Recommendations - Page 11

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
bcrdukes

#101: Post by bcrdukes »

I just checked out Gold Star. $26 for a 1 pound bag. That's tough to swallow.
LMWDP #685

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#102: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to bcrdukes »

How did you make out with the Fratello?

Supporter ♡

#103: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Just finished up bags from Detour. Oveall I had a good time of it. The Piesan was nice but I really enjoyed the San Sebastian Colombian. So much so that I bought a second bag of it locally and pulled it for almost two weeks every day. I was able to pretty consistently get a very sweet, balanced shot that showed the notes on the bag. In particular I enjoyed the cola mixed with orange and vanilla and sometimes caramel. Big win for Detour here.

I had 5 bags of coffee "lost" in Canada Post hell so yesterday, being faced with no coffee, I went to a local cafe who had imported some Onyx Coffee Labs. Ridiculous packaging and all I bought some of the Geometry. When I saw the recipie I was concerned. 20g in 50g out in 25 seconds. None the less I dialed it in on the first shot and was pleseantly surprised with a bright, but sweet, shot with sweet lemon hard candy and a earl grey tea finish. Not something I'd want to confront every morning but it WAS interesting.

Today my 3 bags from 49th and 2 bags from P&S finally arrived. Guess I'm set for the next few weeks.

bcrdukes

#104: Post by bcrdukes »

PIXIllate wrote:How did you make out with the Fratello?
Thanks for the follow up!

Overall, not bad, but also not mind blowing. I was a bit worried with their shot parameters. 19.5g in, 2oz out. That's outside of my personal comfort zone.

Instead, I pulled shots using 19.5g in, about 25 - 30 seconds to yield about 35 - 45ml at most, and adjusted to taste. Pulled a few ristrettos that were also quite nice, but hard to get consistency out of. The beans were definitely fresh but kind of fizzled out after about a week. Had to get the grinder pretty tight or updose, which kind of muddy's the taste. Would I recommend them? Yes, for someone who enjoys mainly milk-based drinks (which I am not) so for the folks who enjoy only shots of espresso, maybe worth looking elsewhere.

Speaking of Canada Post hell, Fratello ships using Purolator and shipping was super fast. I got a few of their coffees for a friend in Vancouver as an early Xmas gift, and Purolator mucked up the delivery, but once I contacted Fratello, we got on the phone. clarified the delivery mess, and got it all sorted the same day. An "A+" in my books for Fratello customer service.
LMWDP #685

melnik

#105: Post by melnik »

Long time lurker reports from west coast. Big fanboy of 49th epic, but decided that ordering same coffee for few years in a row is not healthy ( but to be fair even epic rotates about every 4 to 6 month ) Any who, 49th Costa rica don mayo espresso was very pleasant and did in fact tasted like hard candy an had pleasant aftertaste. Will probably grab another bag for sure. Haven't seen Palette roasters being mentioned here, been just voted top roaster in Vancouver by local snob :D . Their top-shelf pulled faster to 2-2.25 smelled like raspberry jam, tasted like floral raspberry too, being blend of natural and washed Ethiopia didn't work in milk, but definitely a berry bomb, light and quick. Still dialling in Palette element, can't really say much, but washed and pleasant. Monogram warmth espresso not digging it too much. Tried it in the coffee shop, was too acidic but clean and pleasant. Still trying to dial in at home, crema is superb, which is a plus i guess, but almond just maybe needs more sweetness or body, will up the dose tomorrow :roll: . Argyll from transcend was amazingly chocolaty... yum... Next on the list to get is Rocanini, Prototype and Harken.

Supporter ♡

#106: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

melnik wrote: Haven't seen Palette roasters being mentioned here, been just voted top roaster in Vancouver by local snob :D . Their top-shelf pulled faster to 2-2.25 smelled like raspberry jam, tasted like floral raspberry too, being blend of natural and washed Ethiopia didn't work in milk, but definitely a berry bomb, light and quick. Still dialling in Palette element, can't really say much, but washed and pleasant. Monogram warmth espresso not digging it too much. Tried it in the coffee shop, was too acidic but clean and pleasant. Still trying to dial in at home, crema is superb, which is a plus i guess, but almond just maybe needs more sweetness or body, will up the dose tomorrow :roll: . Argyll from transcend was amazingly chocolaty... yum... Next on the list to get is Rocanini, Prototype and Harken.
Pallet is on the top of my list, but does not offer any kind of free shipping so that makes it tough to choose them over some others. Same with Milano. I'll look at Rocanini, Prototype and Harken. Thanks.

Supporter ♡

#107: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Working my way through the bags from Phil & Sebastian.

First up was the PANAMA HARTMANN ANAEROBIC NATURAL GEISHA. This was my first Geisha and all I can say is WOW! Through the roof strawberries. You could smell them on the beans, in the Airscape, in the cup, in your nose for an hour afterwards.... This was intense. Nothing that would be recognized as normal "coffee" flavours. It was a wild ride and I enjoyed it. Not sure I would want it everyday but it was a nice treat.

I'm now working on a bag of COLOMBIA, JOSE MARTINEZ from them. The roast date on this was 12/3 and I only started it on the 29th so that may effect my experience but so far I've found it quite bland. Maybe part of that is coming down from the Geisha but I've had this coffee once before and it was much more like the notes on the bag which are Brown Sugar, Plum and Marzipan.

All in all I would say P&S has been one of (if not THE) most consistent Canadian roasters I've tried. They will be on my short list of coffee in rotation for sure.

PS - I opened the Airscape this morning that was filled with the Jose Martinez and I can STILL smell the Geisha.

bcrdukes

#108: Post by bcrdukes »

melnik wrote:Haven't seen Palette roasters being mentioned here, been just voted top roaster in Vancouver by local snob :D

... *Edited for length*** ...

Argyll from transcend was amazingly chocolaty... yum... Next on the list to get is Rocanini, Prototype and Harken.
By chance, are you said snob? :mrgreen:

I haven't had Argyll in a very long time, but always read that their roasts have been consistently good. Will have to give them a try.

Rocanini - I've had a few hits and misses on their espressos. Let us know how it goes. I haven't tried them in over five years at least.

Since you are in Vancouver, have you tried Matchstick lately? They were pretty hot in the press this year for...a variety of things! :shock:
LMWDP #685

melnik

#109: Post by melnik »

bcrdukes wrote:By chance, are you said snob?
No, but i been stalking him for many years :D

mwynne

#110: Post by mwynne »

Has anyone else dug into Rabbit Hole Roasters? I just pulled my first two shots of their Lafu (from Yunnan), both with my Europiccola. First was straight espresso, ground a bit too coarse, but shockingly zero sourness, even some brown sugar notes. Second finer shot channelled some so I salvaged it with a latte - very very mild taste in with the milk, should have used my 6oz mug, not 12oz. Overall quite nice and pleasing - I think they do a darker roast Yunnan as well which I want to try.

LMWDP #673