Caffe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo "Roma" Espresso blend

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I mentioned in a previous thread discussing classic Italian blends containing approximately 30% robusta, that Caffe Lusso here in Seattle might consider offering something similar. Likewise, I disclosed in that thread that Philip at Caffe Lusso is a friend of mine and that he sent me two free samples to try, so I'm declaring my bias up front. They will consider a small limited offering in the near future to collect consumer interest and response. I think folks will like it! It's currently unnamed. I've just used "Roma" as a placeholder.

I was sent a 70/30 blend and a 60/40 blend. They are both comprised of Gran Miscela Carmo blended with a high quality washed Indian robusta peaberry that can be found in very small percentages in his Lionshare espresso (approx 20%) and I've used up most of the 70/30 and haven't yet opened the 60/40. It was hard letting these rest.

It's an easy blend to work with, I've bounced around from 15g baskets to 18g depending on beverage size. I've been toying around with my newly acquired DE1PRO and mainly sticking with the Cremina Lever profile for now, adjusting from there.

Shot profiles so far, pulled hot at 203ºF, 16-18g, 3 second pre-infusion, ramp to 9 bar down to 4 at the end, resulting in a beverage weight of 30-36g in about 28 seconds.

The shots are sweet, intense, mild brightness, but refreshing for this level of roast. The flavors are clean, bold dark cocoa notes along with caramel sweetness and dry distillate notes akin to brandy, cedar, molasses, rich sesame and toast. The fragrance of the ground coffee is very intense sesame candy.

I'll probably start into the 60/40 blend in the next few days over the weekend. So far, my wife has been very happy with her morning to-go lattes I make for her, and Im sure the added caffeine is a welcome kick start to her morning.

slybarman

#2: Post by slybarman »

How is the body compared to GMC?

I'd like to get in on the trial when it happens.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
nameisjoey

#3: Post by nameisjoey »

Sounds wonderful, I'd definitely like to get in on this as well if/when it becomes available.

frank20

#4: Post by frank20 »

Count me in! I'd likely go for the 60/40 myself. I really enjoy southern Italian blends with high robusta content.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC (original poster) »

slybarman wrote:How is the body compared to GMC?

I'd like to get in on the trial when it happens.

I actually typed three replies yesterday before giving up, due to some wifi issues here, so I apologize but add this slightly more current assessment after trying the 60/40 blend today . I pulled another shot a minute ago and quite enjoyed it. Mind you, most of these blends end up in milk. I assess a spoonful of the straight shot for defects before using the rest for milk-based drinks. My straight shot esrpresso, minus sugar or longer extractions, are usually done with medium to lighter roasts coffees.

The body seems to me to be the same as the regular GMC. Mouthfeel, the same too.I haven't pulled it on a traditional spring lever yet, but haven't noted something drastically different than the wonderful Gran Miscela Carmo I'm well accustomed to. No significant uptick in either. But what is noticeable is the increase in complex sweet baked goods notes. Lots of caramelized nuts, more barrel aged flavor notes, amaretto, a bit less acidity, and a much longer finish.

I get a slightly buttery sugar coated walnut or pecan flavor, along with nice distillate notes like brandy or a nice Madeira. The acidity is obviously diminished. Don't be buying either of these blends looking for acidity. But what I really appreciate in both of these blends is the fresh flavors. Nothing tasting flat or rancid ,or stale/fishy.

I upped the pre=infussion flow tonight to get thicker shots. One of the many perks of the DE platform. I will definitely save a few shots worth for my commercial lever as well. It's properly rested now.

Honestly, I couldn't recommend one over the other, they're both really darn good. If bright acidity isn't your concern for a milk-based drink, then I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better bargain relative to quality. I'll definitely be buying more as soon as I can (support small businesses) at full price and exploring more.

I think both of these blends would really blow some socks off by users who pull nice ristrettos to normales, and maybe add just the ever so slightly coated spoon covered with sugar. Or, maybe making a spritz that has a large volume of lemon juice flavored sparkling water, for a very tasty, refreshing coffee beverage for warmer weather. Otherwise, it's a top tier blend destined for milk-drinks and will shine exceptionally well.

Bias aside, this might not cut thru milk with the same potency as Kimbo Superior, but it has fresher flavors, still containing the nice amaretto notes and complex brandies, minus any risk of fishy flavor. What I might end up doing is buying a larger volume of this at discount and freezing it, to use for milk based drinks going forward.

slybarman

#6: Post by slybarman »

TomC wrote:I actually typed three replies yesterday before giving up, due to some wifi issues here, so I apologize but add this slightly more current assessment after trying the 60/40 blend today.
Thank you Tom. Certainly sounds worth a try. I have found your recommendations to be worthy in the past. I guess that means our tastes in coffee are somewhat aligned. I definitely do not favor bright acidity - not a TWOJ kind of guy.

Nate42

#7: Post by Nate42 »

Sounds interesting, let us know when/if it becomes available.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
Spitz.me

#8: Post by Spitz.me »

TomC wrote: ...

The body seems to me to be the same as the regular GMC. Mouthfeel, the same too.I haven't pulled it on a traditional spring lever yet, but haven't noted something drastically different than the wonderful Gran Miscela Carmo I'm well accustomed to. No significant uptick in either. But what is noticeable is the increase in complex sweet baked goods notes. Lots of caramelized nuts, more barrel aged flavor notes, amaretto, a bit less acidity, and a much longer finish...
Thanks for the early impressions, Tom. The snip above is what I'm curious about since I'm not actually a fan of the GMC (I do prefer it over the Lionshare) and your feedback implies to me that the "Roma" is more like what I'm looking for.
LMWDP #670

caeffe

#9: Post by caeffe »

TomC wrote:....

I was sent a 70/30 blend and a 60/40 blend. They are both comprised of Gran Miscela Carmo blended with a high quality washed Indian robusta peaberry that can be found in very small percentages in his Lionshare espresso (approx 10%) and I've used up most of the 70/30 and haven't yet opened the 60/40.It was hard letting these rest.

Since it is essentially GMC with a % of robusta, is Lionshare somewhat comparable in taste/texture to this? I've had GMC during the comparion with Klatch Belle and Dragonfly and I like it but have never tried Lionshare.
I look forward to being able to try this blend.

I bought some Lavazza Top Class to get a feel for a dark roast with robusta in it. By itself it's good but I liked it even better with an acidic blend (roughly 2-4g in a 14-16g total) La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Blind Tiger Complex Complex

I'm discovering I like these dark/med-dark roasts much more than the light "fruity" ones. I'd still like to be able to sample a "southern/napoletano Italian blend" from a local roaster as it seems most of the blends I've tried are deemed to be northern italian style roasts.
LMWDP #162

EddyQ

#10: Post by EddyQ »

TomC wrote: But what is noticeable is the increase in complex sweet baked goods notes. Lots of caramelized nuts, more barrel aged flavor notes, amaretto, a bit less acidity, and a much longer finish.
This pretty much explains my experience with mixing India Cherry Robusta with a Brazil pulped natural.

This is very exciting. Love to give this coffee a go.
With all the comments, I wonder how marketable a bag of 100% robusta would be? On the bag stating some recipes for favorite blends.
LMWDP #671