Caffe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo "Roma" Espresso blend - Page 10

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
maxdepth

#91: Post by maxdepth »

I pulled a lever style shot this morning at 200 degrees with 15g in and 25g out in about 35 seconds. It was very tasty and had a nice chocolatey flavor to it. Pulling it this way and with a tighter ratio definitely helped smooth it out and curb the bitterness I was getting from a straight 1:2. I can't wait to try this tomorrow morning in a cappuccino! Will also try pulling it a little hotter to see if that enhances it. Overall I'm happy with this blend so far. I have not had any of Lusso's other offerings, but this is a good start for me. I still have a small bag of Saka's 60/40 blend in the freezer and look forward to doing a side by side in the future.

dreadnatty08

#92: Post by dreadnatty08 »

Finally got the bag open. Pulled a couple shots so far, first as a cortado (grind too coarse?) and second as a straight shot, tightened up the grind a bit but still a fast pull. 19g in and 37g out in a hair over 32sec. Never fully opened up the flow so kept it around 6 bar at the group for the duration. I think now I have a great idea the flavors of robusta: bit woody and a touch of cardboard, but not in an oxidized bad way. The roast is there but nowhere near the level of the BG Estate espresso I just finished. Super smooth, creamy and good sweetness. A hint of lemony acidity is really a nice way to round out all the chocolate, nuttiness (though that could be heightened from being a bit under extracted?). Overall, I'm really enjoying this. There's a lot of new flavors here I haven't gotten from SO or other moderately roasted espresso blends. Looking forward to how the bag progresses as I think it still needs a couple more days.

Advertisement
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#93: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Phaedrus wrote:I cracked open the first bag last night. Set the Vetrano to 205 degrees, 15g in 30g out in about 38-40 seconds. Ground on the MC2. As an Americano it was very sweet with a caramel taste coming through. This morning I did the same thing. One as an Americano and another as a straight shot, however I cut the straight shot off a bit shorter, maybe 25g. The straight shot was very nutty, in a very pleasing way. This is a nice alternative to the traditional Italian blends I've been drinking for the past few months.

Anyone else have some parameters to share?

That sounds pretty good. I'd also be interested in reading other's impressions on just the vivid fragrance the fresh ground coffee produces. I get lots of warm sesame and it's lacking that odd roasted beef savory notes that some other darker roasted blends can contain.

I haven't cracked into the new stuff yet. I have a few shots left of the 60/40 I'm finishing up first.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

cskorton

#94: Post by cskorton »

Well, the blend finally made it out to the east coast this past Tuesday, so I've had a little bit of time to play around with it on my Londinium R lever. I will caveat this by saying it is getting better with age, so I'll probably follow up again in a week or two. Also, this is strictly my opinion only, I'd encourage others to formulate their own opinions. As always, ymmv.

Overall Impressions - I'm a bit disappointed. As a lover of Italian roasts, I was expecting a darker roasted, very punchy, nuanced, intricate shot similar to the Italian blends I love including Saka, Motta, Filicori Zecchini, and a few other smaller ones. I can say that this blend is nothing like any Italian blend I've ever tried. For one, it's definitely roasted much lighter.

This blend lacks complexity, and to me, is a bit one sided and flat. Generally, Italian blends walk the line between sweet and bitter (think dark chocolate or cocoa, toasted nuts, and a bitter digestive before dinner drink).

There's this weird front note that is sweet, but doesn't necessarily taste good to me. I've hard dark Neapolitan blends that start with a jammy, mixed fruit or apricot note. Someone else mentioned banana peel, and I think that nails it, ha!

Body is also different. Italian blends tend to be fuller bodied. This is heavier, but not quite as heavy as thick as Italian blends usually are.

I will say it is better in milk drinks. In a standard cappuccino, I get dark chocolate and caramel notes. However, because it lacks punchiness, it doesn't punch through the milk as well as darker Neapolitan and other Italian blends.

Brewing Parameters-

1. Preinfusion Time - tried 20 second preinfusions, 3 second preinfusions, and everything in between. This blend likes no to minimal preinfusion. I keep it at 2 or 3 seconds, just enough to fill the group head.

2. Preinfusion pressure - most Italian roasts that are darker with robusta like 1.3 bar preinfusion, however this one, likes it at 3 bar.

3. Temperature- I can't control this variable, but because it's medium roasted, it can take a higher temperature

4. Dose - I always use 14g. Because it's medium roasted, I could've pushed it up to 16g, but I don't like big doses.

5. Brew ratio - I've found 1:2 to be best. 1:1 ristrettos highlight the front note that I don't like. Pushing it to 1:2 introduces some good bitterness to help balance it out.

6. Brew time - not counting preinfusion, I've found this likes to be pushed really hard. My best shots were 45 seconds long! Very unusual for me, I always keep it at 28 seconds.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I'd love to try Lusso's other stuff, as I'll support any small coffee roaster trying to make it. What's their best chocolatey full bodied coffee they carry? I love caramel/toffee forward coffees as well.

lancealot

#95: Post by lancealot »

Chris I appreciate your critical approach to this review. Thank you.

I am on vacay this week and away from my house but my coffee still has not made it to my east coast residence from WA. Priority mail.

slybarman

#96: Post by slybarman »

cskorton wrote:Well, the blend finally made it out to the east coast this past Tuesday, so I've had a little bit of time to play around with it on my Londinium R lever. I will caveat this by saying it is getting better with age, so I'll probably follow up again in a week or two. Also, this is strictly my opinion only, I'd encourage others to formulate their own opinions. As always, ymmv.

Overall Impressions - I'm a bit disappointed. As a lover of Italian roasts, I was expecting a darker roasted, very punchy, nuanced, intricate shot similar to the Italian blends I love including Saka, Motta, Filicori Zecchini, and a few other smaller ones. I can say that this blend is nothing like any Italian blend I've ever tried. For one, it's definitely roasted much lighter.

This blend lacks complexity, and to me, is a bit one sided and flat. Generally, Italian blends walk the line between sweet and bitter (think dark chocolate or cocoa, toasted nuts, and a bitter digestive before dinner drink).

There's this weird front note that is sweet, but doesn't necessarily taste good to me. I've hard dark Neapolitan blends that start with a jammy, mixed fruit or apricot note. Someone else mentioned banana peel, and I think that nails it, ha!

Body is also different. Italian blends tend to be fuller bodied. This is heavier, but not quite as heavy as thick as Italian blends usually are.

I will say it is better in milk drinks. In a standard cappuccino, I get dark chocolate and caramel notes. However, because it lacks punchiness, it doesn't punch through the milk as well as darker Neapolitan and other Italian blends.

Brewing Parameters-

1. Preinfusion Time - tried 20 second preinfusions, 3 second preinfusions, and everything in between. This blend likes no to minimal preinfusion. I keep it at 2 or 3 seconds, just enough to fill the group head.

2. Preinfusion pressure - most Italian roasts that are darker with robusta like 1.3 bar preinfusion, however this one, likes it at 3 bar.

3. Temperature- I can't control this variable, but because it's medium roasted, it can take a higher temperature

4. Dose - I always use 14g. Because it's medium roasted, I could've pushed it up to 16g, but I don't like big doses.

5. Brew ratio - I've found 1:2 to be best. 1:1 ristrettos highlight the front note that I don't like. Pushing it to 1:2 introduces some good bitterness to help balance it out.

6. Brew time - not counting preinfusion, I've found this likes to be pushed really hard. My best shots were 45 seconds long! Very unusual for me, I always keep it at 28 seconds.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I'd love to try Lusso's other stuff, as I'll support any small coffee roaster trying to make it. What's their best chocolatey full bodied coffee they carry? I love caramel/toffee forward coffees as well.
Agree - it is getting better as it ages a bit.

Agree - no preinfusion.

Agree - longer shot time. You are in the range I mentioned previously.

Brew ratio - odd to me you are getting more of that front taste at the shorter ratio. I'm currently getting best result around 1: 1.5 to 1:1.7. though I should add I'm not 100% confident in the accuracy of my scale for measuring output and have a new one on the way, but based on eyeballing, I think that's in the ballpark. I do find the ratio is lengthening some as it ages. Too long and I feel like I get more of that taste you described.

caeffe

#97: Post by caeffe »

cskorton wrote:...

Thanks for the detailed notes. Overall, I like it. I should have bought either a Lionshare bag or regular GMC so I can compare. For now, other than somewhat heavier body/texture I'm unable to remember if it tastes different compared to GMC. Possibly the taste difference is not noticeable enough for my memory.

At the moment I have some Nossa's Teodoro roast also and I find Roma and it to be very similar in taste. It's definitely lighter roasted than Lavazza Top Class. My palate is not noticing the sweet front note you mention but that could either be my untrained palate or my inability to control temp/preinfusion parameters - I used a NS Oscar and Elektra Microcasa, ground using Mazzer Major; single dose.
It does seem heavier bodied than the Nossa Teodoro.
Will see how it tastes as it ages. Still have the 2nd bag in the freezer and I'm about halfway through the 1st bag already.

I'm in the mood to try out Neapolitan Roasts based on the Saka thread and IamOiman's threads. I bought a bag of Lavazza Top Class (from Amazon, 10/20 roast date it seems) to dip my palate into and thought I'd try Lusso's GMC Roma. I look forward to trying the Saka and comparing it.
cskorton wrote:...
....I'll support any small coffee roaster trying to make it. ... I love caramel/toffee forward coffees as well.
Me too...
LMWDP #162

Advertisement
Nate42

#98: Post by Nate42 »

Not sure if its age or grind or (likely) both, but I keep nudging the grind finer and finer, and keep liking it more. Dominant flavors are chocolate and almonds, with more sweetness coming through. Harshness I noted several days ago is gone.

Today I have got my favorite shots with it yet, 17g in 28g out, 35 seconds, only 2-3sec preinfusion. Preheated robot basket with overflow method. Never bothered with that with regular GMC, wish I had some to compare. Haven't had it in about 6ish months.

Haven't made a cap with it yet, will probably try that today.

I wouldn't say its knocked my socks off or anything, but its a solid "espresso-y" espresso that my whole family has consistently enjoyed. And who knows is may continue to get better. Would buy again.

lancealot

#99: Post by lancealot »

Back from vacay today and USPS delivered the goods today too. I'm going to have to put it in the deep freeze for about another week before I can get around to working with it though.

Spitz.me

#100: Post by Spitz.me »

I'm finding this blend to be very reminiscent of what I'm used to drinking from the Italian blends I enjoy from Italy. I read Nate42's account of going finer and finer on grind settings. That was what did it for me since initially it was tasting very bland and a bit like cardboard. I'm pulling it now a out 5 clicks tighter, preinfusing until I saturate the bottom of the basket and pulling about 1.25:1 ratio. It's a slower pull, probably about 50-60 seconds including a 15 second preinfusion. This helped me back away from the strong bitter and move into sweetness. It has good depth at about 203 and I'm enjoying it. Exceeded my expectations and this blend is more to my liking than GMC or Lionshare.
LMWDP #670