Caffe Lusso GMC, Worth it?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
lancealot

#1: Post by lancealot »

Hi,
I have mainly stuck with coffees in the 55-65$ range for 5#. I keep going back to blends from Redbird, Nossa and Paradise. In that order (lotsa RB n' Nossa). I like my espresso comfy, chocolate, nuts, caramel, some hints of cherry or strawberry in the finish. I also like my espresso easy. I weigh my shots, pay attention to distribution and use a bottomless. But I do not want to be futzing with my grinder everyday to chase some tasting note. I don't have time or energy to care that much. I drink a latte a day, and americano a day and maybe a straight shot every other day, mostly before cycling or after lunch.

In the very few times I have ventured in to the 70-80$ range for coffee, I have not found the juice to be worth the squeeze. Lusso's GMC has come recommended. But I am wondering if people could weigh-in, am I going to notice a difference? A 20$ difference?

I know that there is no accounting for taste and whether you think it is worth it might not be the same as me thinking it is worth it. I am just looking for opinions. No one on here is going to make me buy the GMC or be held responsible if I don't like it :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW, the reason I am asking is because they are having a free shipping event coming up.

Kryptonicspb

#2: Post by Kryptonicspb »

Honestly I was left very unimpressed with GMC. You get a cool sticker though!

It was darker and more muted than I expected. Even had some unpleasant tobacco notes. Tasted fine in milk but nothing I would order again. I am planning to try lionshare to see if that's better.

You should really try Veltons Bonsai Blend. My personal favorite

Chris65

#3: Post by Chris65 »

I have tried both and actually prefer lionshare in both milk drinks and straight. So hopefully you are more impressed when you try it than with gmc

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

I just placed another order last night actually. And adding this new one to the list. It might not even be new, actually.

https://www.caffelusso.com/coffee/brazil/

The description of vanilla sounds enticing. I'll be trying both as filter and espresso.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

r7

#5: Post by r7 »

I like it. It seems to require a relatively high extraction temperature. My best results have been at 202-203F.

Barb
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Barb »

The GMC has become my favorite. Rich, dark ,naturally sweet. Lionshare seemed less so to me, for espresso but makes good pour over ( brewed on a Technivorm).
Klatch's "Bella" BTW, I enjoy almost as much as GMC

RobertL

#7: Post by RobertL »

Kryptonicspb wrote:Honestly I was left very unimpressed with GMC. You get a cool sticker though!

It was darker and more muted than I expected. Even had some unpleasant tobacco notes. Tasted fine in milk but nothing I would order again. I am planning to try lionshare to see if that's better.
I agree with the statement above. I drink a lot of Nossa Full Cycle and GMC was too dark for my taste.

marlodmb

#8: Post by marlodmb »

r7 wrote:I like it. It seems to require a relatively high extraction temperature. My best results have been at 202-203F.
I agree. And I have gone three 20+lbs of this for iced drinks. Was our go to bean. Been trying others but I'm prob going back. Vivace vita is good too which I'm currently using right now. But GMC will take its place again. Only because cheaper.

Balthazar_B

#9: Post by Balthazar_B »

GMC is predictably good, as the roasters pick good beans, and roast and blend well. That said, it's priced a little high, as it's in the same wheelhouse as many other chocolately comfort blends, and there are several good values in this space.

Lionshare is way more unusual in that there's a slug of robusta mixed in. It's also priced on the dear side, but its unique character may justify the cost for many of us. Like GMC, it's expertly roasted and blended. As someone said earlier, it works as well in milk drinks as it does straight.

Lusso is doing free shipping this coming week, so one thorn will have been removed for folks looking to sample their coffees.
- John

LMWDP # 577

wsurfn

#10: Post by wsurfn »

A bag came with my new M.Flat.

I absolutely hated it. Burnt flavors that made me want to quit the making coffee. Of course, I am exaggerating. :P

I am going to post about this later today. It is obviously my fault, a distribution issue using my new grinder, but I have never made coffee closer to Charbucks in 15 years of home brewing. Also in fairness, besides the technique errors, I did not start using it until 3 weeks post roast.

I am currently having some success with a lighter roasted Kenyan from Heart. Whew.

I would label this as a darker roast, and visually compared to most of the blends I have used, it looks the part too.

One non-expert opinion.