Caffe Lusso GMC, Worth it? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jul 01, 2018, 10:29 am

Thanks everyone! One last thing. I cannot figure out for the life of me, where I learned about the free shipping next week! It might have been a direct email, I checked everywhere and I cannot find the details. Does anyone know them? Is it a code or is it just applied at checkout automatically if you are in the timing window? I believe I recall it starting on the 2nd. If I don't hear, here, I will just call them tomorrow.

wsurfn

Postby wsurfn » Jul 01, 2018, 11:10 am

My wife hated the Heart Kenyan I just made her. Too sour and she did not like the aroma. She has never refused to drink what I have made.

My evaluation of coffee is worthless right now, back to the drawing board. I hope to post again some time in the future.

My apologies to all.

marlodmb

Postby marlodmb » Jul 01, 2018, 11:27 am

wsurfn wrote:A bag came with my new M.Flat.

I absolutely hated it. Burnt flavors that made me want to quit the making coffee. Of course, I am exaggerating. :P

I am going to post about this later today. It is obviously my fault, a distribution issue using my new grinder, but I have never made coffee closer to Charbucks in 15 years of home brewing. Also in fairness, besides the technique errors, I did not start using it until 3 weeks post roast.

I am currently having some success with a lighter roasted Kenyan from Heart. Whew.

I would label this as a darker roast, and visually compared to most of the blends I have used, it looks the part too.

One non-expert opinion.

What was your parameters? Curious!

Chris65

Postby Chris65 » Jul 01, 2018, 12:09 pm

lancealot wrote:Thanks everyone! One last thing. I cannot figure out for the life of me, where I learned about the free shipping next week! It might have been a direct email, I checked everywhere and I cannot find the details. Does anyone know them? Is it a code or is it just applied at checkout automatically if you are in the timing window? I believe I recall it starting on the 2nd. If I don't hear, here, I will just call them tomorrow.

There was a post by cafe lusso in the marketplace forum on here about it

Charlene

Postby Charlene » Jul 02, 2018, 11:28 pm

All three roasters produce good product. I don't know that going to a higher priced coffee will be a good return for the extra cost for you if purging and dialing in the grinder is not preferred as part of your routine.

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Jul 03, 2018, 12:42 am

Charlene wrote:if purging and dialing in the grinder is not preferred as part of your routine.

Woah! I dont know if that was supposed to be a dig or what!
When i get a new 5lb bag, i usually wait 4 days and then spend 5 or so days and 1/2 lb to 1 lb checking out the coffee at various extractions. You know, dialing in. Once i find what i like, i make a note and freeze the rest in 1/2 lb batches. 1/2 lb lasts 4 days or so. As i pull bags from the freezer, I need to tweak the grinder very little if at all or i just go +/- .5g to keep the timing and flava nice. Till the five pounds are gone.
As for purging, my wake-up is a latte. I purge into that.

Charlene

Postby Charlene » Jul 03, 2018, 1:28 am

lancealot wrote:Woah! I dont know if that was supposed to be a dig or what!
When i get a new 5lb bag, i usually wait 4 days and then spend 5 or so days and 1/2 lb to 1 lb checking out the coffee at various extractions. You know, dialing in. Once i find what i like, i make a note and freeze the rest in 1/2 lb batches. 1/2 lb lasts 4 days or so. As i pull bags from the freezer, I need to tweak the grinder very little if at all or i just go +/- .5g to keep the timing and flava nice. Till the five pounds are gone.
As for purging, my wake-up is a latte. I purge into that.

oh noooo... not a dig. What you just described is quite different than the initial impression I got from your opening post.

lancealot wrote:But I do not want to be futzing with my grinder everyday to chase some tasting note. I don't have time or energy to care that much.

BTW, I like that purging idea! ;-)

jasonmolinari

Postby jasonmolinari » Jul 03, 2018, 11:25 am

I've been torn on trying the Lionshare as well given the cost. But so many good reviews keep drawing me back to the desire to test it.
This free shipping deal might "force" me to get a 5lb bag!

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Jul 03, 2018, 12:12 pm

I use both almost interchangeably. Both pull great shots, both make great milk drinks. I tend to prefer Lionshare in milk actually over GMC.

r7

Postby r7 » Jul 03, 2018, 10:29 pm

I have been enjoying the GMC. My order just came so next I will try their Rescue:Freedom blend as espresso.