Caffe Lusso GMC Rest Time

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
rockethead26

#1: Post by rockethead26 »

For those of you who buy 1 Kg or 5 lb bags of GMC, how long do you let it rest before freezing. This is my first bag and have no prior experience. I usually let most med and med/dark beans rest 5-7 days before freezing. I don't know if GMC is special in that regard because of the blend.

Thanks!

slybarman

#2: Post by slybarman »

That's about how long I give it as well. I store in vacuum sealed Mason jars. I go back and reseal after a few days to account for any extra off gassing.

belegnole

#3: Post by belegnole »

I also wait to about 5-7 days post roast and then put them in mason jars and freeze. I don't vac them or anything and they end up fine to my taste buds.

Of course my taste buds are old and continue to be tortured with spicy foods etc.
LMWDP #641

rockethead26

#4: Post by rockethead26 »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looks like we're all on the same page. I just use regular sealed mason jars myself and freeze. It's worked for 10 years or so.

mgwolf

#5: Post by mgwolf »

It tasted better to me after about a week post roast. BTW, I thought it tasted very bland, uninteresting at 199 degrees but really shined at 203. Next time I get some, I'll try a little hotter.

rockethead26

#6: Post by rockethead26 » replying to mgwolf »

I'll freeze these at 7 days and thanks for reminding be to boost the boiler temp from the 198 where it is now.

baristainzmking
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by baristainzmking »

I really enjoy GMC beans, but am afraid to freeze them. lol

It is so interesting to see the freezing of the beans do a full circle and come back around. It was what we all did in the late 80s, then it became a no-no and now it's about freezing the beans again.
Julia

daveR1

#8: Post by daveR1 »

mgwolf wrote:It tasted better to me after about a week post roast. BTW, I thought it tasted very bland, uninteresting at 199 degrees but really shined at 203. Next time I get some, I'll try a little hotter.
I believe it was Phillip @ Lusso who told me to pull their coffee at 203 F min. Colder than that could taste "grassy". I pull GMC at 204

mgwolf

#9: Post by mgwolf »

thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

caffeineme

#10: Post by caffeineme »

Hi, thanks for this thread.

After determining optimal rest/freeze time, did you reach a consensus on brew parameters?

FWIW, I have a Niche Zero and HX. TIA.