Caffe del Faro: espresso from Le Marche - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Chert

#11: Post by Chert »

I thought that Brazil selection gave such a fabulous fragrance ground. Out of the freezer the coffee before grinding reminded me more of Italian coffee roasted 4 months ago. It's that acid taming roast development common to the blends. But ground, I got more of that fruity natural enticing fragrance. The espresso tasted nice and fruity but also some pleasing roast character.
LMWDP #198

vze26m98 (original poster)

#12: Post by vze26m98 (original poster) »

Chert wrote:I thought that Brazil selection gave such a fabulous fragrance ground. The espresso tasted nice and fruity but also some pleasing roast character.
My question to you: I have some confidence in saying the Suprema blend and Brazil SO are unusual flavor profiles WRT to Italian coffees, but are they so unusual compared to US specialty roasters? I can't claim enough experience with US coffee to make a judgement.

Best, C.

Chert

#13: Post by Chert »

I don't have taste knowledge across the US spectrum, especially of roasts developed to the degree Italian blends are. Honestly, even Vivace blends are not clear in my taste memory, but I don't think they have that certain something. But I have only had them fresher than the Supremo. It was nice ina tighter extraction today.
LMWDP #198

#14: Post by vze26m98 (original poster) »

Although it's not at all a similar blend, I feel like I should compare del Faro Suprema against Stumptown Hairbender.

#15: Post by vze26m98 (original poster) »

I did call in a bag of Hairbender, but more on that later.

The "monoarabicas" are finished here. The Ethiopian was tasty, although here in the States it seems Ethiopian is a crowded category. The del Faro roast didn't really stand out from my memories of other Ethiopian SOs roasted here. Strangely, the Illy "Etiopia" sticks in my mind: quite a lot darker than US offerings, and really well done at that.

The del Faro Brazil, as mentioned above, was super-tasty and most unusual. I mistakenly attributed the "mango, mace-to-burnt orange" of the del Faro Suprema to an Ethiopian, but in actuality, it was the Brazil. The del Faro Brazil is unlike any Brazil I've previously tasted. Would've like more than the 250gm I ordered.

And so I thought I might really be talking the fool when I said that the Suprema would be worth comparing to Stumptown's Hairbender. They are after all very different blends. I surprised myself though, in that they present the same degree of roast and balance. The one tends toward "mango, mace", the other to "leather, grape"; one had rested for a couple of weeks, the other was only a couple days out of the drum; but they could be sibling coffees from my tasting.

At some point I'll get to the bags of Gold Bar and Espresso Italiano, both of which are blends that feature robusta.

Chert

#16: Post by Chert »

I liked the Brasil quite well. Fruity but balanced from espresso. I have no more of the Supremo to try to suss out the components like you sensed. Interesting.

I still have some of the Ethiopia. I like it too, but it's muted .
LMWDP #198