Buying discounted coffee beans 4-6 weeks past the roasting date. Good/bad idea?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mixespresso

#1: Post by mixespresso »

Hi all,

I buy my coffee from a local roaster and, every now and again, they sell coffee beans 4-6 weeks past the roasting date at a 20-25% discount.

I know this is a highly debatable topic but, if coffee is best enjoyed 3 months within the roasting date, that still gives you a 6-8 weeks window of theoretical "fresh" consumption.

What are your feelings about this deal?
Would you buy and freeze immediately the coffee you are not gonna consume within that "best" window?
Or do you think the deal is still not worth it, as the coffee has already passed the flavour peak 1-2 weeks after roasting?

Thanks

mbbrew

#2: Post by mbbrew »

I think a lot of it depends on the roast level and the type of coffee, along with how you are planning on brewing it. If its a light roast that you are using for filter coffee and a harder, high altitude bean, its probably going to taste pretty good, maybe a little lacking in aroma but the flavor should all be there. If it's a medium dark that you are using for espresso it might be a little flat and lacking in crema.

Advertisement
henri

#3: Post by henri »

I would buy them.

But you could also test this by getting both a fresh bag and a discount bag and see how much of a difference there is.

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

You left out the key point. 20-25% discounted from WHAT? There are roasters who offer 20% discount here on HB for freshly roasted beans. If you plan on freezing, you could always order from roasters who offer 5 LB bags at discount.

I personally wouldn't purchase any beans from a roaster who would offer beans two months past their roast date.

mixespresso (original poster)

#5: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

mbbrew wrote:I think a lot of it depends on the roast level and the type of coffee, along with how you are planning on brewing it. If its a light roast that you are using for filter coffee and a harder, high altitude bean, its probably going to taste pretty good, maybe a little lacking in aroma but the flavor should all be there. If it's a medium dark that you are using for espresso it might be a little flat and lacking in crema.
espresso is the goal

#6: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

henri wrote:I would buy them.

But you could also test this by getting both a fresh bag and a discount bag and see how much of a difference there is.
that is a good idea.

#7: Post by mixespresso (original poster) »

chipman wrote:You left out the key point. 20-25% discounted from WHAT? There are roasters who offer 20% discount here on HB for freshly roasted beans. If you plan on freezing, you could always order from roasters who offer 5 LB bags at discount.

I personally wouldn't purchase any beans from a roaster who would offer beans two months past their roast date.
I like their coffee I have to say. It is 4-6 weeks past the roast date for the bargain beans (I made a mistake in the title that I have just edited)

I am based in Ireland, so it d be difficult to avail of the HB roaster discounts from here

thanks

Advertisement
objective1

#8: Post by objective1 »

chipman wrote:You left out the key point. 20-25% discounted from WHAT? There are roasters who offer 20% discount here on HB for freshly roasted beans. ....

Who, where would one find that list? :-)