Blueberry (or any berry) bomb coffee recommendations?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
bostonbuzz

#1: Post by bostonbuzz »

Looking for a berry bomb coffee. The natural Ethiopians from my local roasters are not cutting it. I want some berries.

I had an amazing bag from Red Rooster "Ethiopia Worka Sakaro Anaerobic Natural," but they don't have anything else in stock like that.
LMWDP #353

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Splunge »

Candy Crush from DAK is chock full of every berry you could ever want, and maybe some you don't. Working my way through a couple of bags right now, and while my wife absolutely loves it in her milk drinks, for the tight ratio espresso that I prefer it's perhaps a bit much.
I only bring it up because it's the fruitiest coffee I've ever had, with blueberry, strawberry and peach being the predominant notes for me.

Chris

Advertisement
NYPeter007
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by NYPeter007 »

I often order from Klatch coffee. They tend to have very fruity/berryish offerings, even in their blends. This particular one is very fruity, and it great as both a shot and a filter. Their anaerobic process coffees are almost always great. Their offerings change out often too, which I think is a good sign. What coffees have you tried that you like?

https://www.klatchcoffee.com/products/e ... ?bgIndex=8

HRace

#4: Post by HRace replying to NYPeter007 »

I just finished a bag of the Klatch above and really enjoyed it. Far less anerobic funk than some roasters. I was impressed. The recommendation above from DAK looks pretty interesting too. Thank you.

Edit: wow. DAK shipping to USA looks prohibitive. Nearly the same price as the coffee. Shame.

cmin

#5: Post by cmin »

NYPeter007 wrote:I often order from Klatch coffee. They tend to have very fruity/berryish offerings, even in their blends. This particular one is very fruity, and it great as both a shot and a filter. Their anaerobic process coffees are almost always great. Their offerings change out often too, which I think is a good sign. What coffees have you tried that you like?

Man, they had an GR1 Anaerobic Guji last year that was absolutely wretched. Like fermented fruit and wine that went bad, really bad, lol. Bunch of us on here gave us PTSD.

bostonbuzz (original poster)

#6: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

NYPeter007 wrote:I often order from Klatch coffee. They tend to have very fruity/berryish offerings, even in their blends. This particular one is very fruity, and it great as both a shot and a filter. Their anaerobic process coffees are almost always great. Their offerings change out often too, which I think is a good sign. What coffees have you tried that you like?

I think it's time to give Klatch a try. That DAK looks good, but man is it pricey.

I recently had a bag of Red Rooster "Ethiopia Worka Sakaro Anaerobic Natural." It was phenomenally fruity but they ran out. I followed it up with some "Java Frinsa Anaerobic Natural" from them. It was funkyyyyyyy. I was a bit nauseous drinking it.

The local roasters to me all have coffees that should be fruity, but they just aren't great. I'm looking for coffees that a non-coffee drinker would be able to pick the fruit taste out of, if you know what I mean.
LMWDP #353

bored117

#7: Post by bored117 »

Above mentioned 'Ethiopia Worka Gr1 Anaerobic Natural' actually had way too much "bubble gum" note in it... not funky but just... bubble gum. It was an interesting experience but overwhelming for me. Worth a try once. To me, the blueberry was definitely there but bubblegum was such a new note that it overrode all my attention.

Advertisement
bostonbuzz (original poster)

#8: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

I'm getting a lot of anaerobic-ness that I'm not really enjoying. Sort of overwhelms the other seemingly nice flavors. Still on the hunt for a berry bomb, but in a couple weeks when I burn through this 2 lbs.

I looked up the crazy blueberry coffee from back when I roasted (2017) and it was, "Organic Guji, Natural - Shakiso - Kayon Mountain Farm." I found some from an LA cafe I've never heard of https://vestacoffee.com/products/kayon-mountain-natural . I'll give it an order in a couple weeks and report back.
LMWDP #353

cafeIKE

#9: Post by cafeIKE »

Try Verve in Santa Cruz.

$$$

cmin

#10: Post by cmin replying to cafeIKE »

Just had a couple bags in recent months from Verve and they honestly have all been mehhh. From Sermon to single origins. I remember Sermon years ago being straight berries and chocolate, last two bags on different orders have been like generic flat coffee and one order was pretty ashy flavored, neither had a hint of any fruit. And SOs same. Couldn't get anything like tasting notes even on V60 let alone 'Spro. Used to love their stuff years ago so that was disappointing to have that happen on like 4 or 5 different bags.