Blueberry (or any berry) bomb coffee recommendations? - Page 11

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Cos270

#101: Post by Cos270 »

Very pleased with this latest pick up from Perc in Savannah. A very nice blueberry note, not overpowering and very pleasant acidity without being harsh. I did pull a shot on my Vectis, but I think the temperature was a bit low as it came out a little under extracted. Have had very nice cups from the aeropress and will try a few through the April brewer this weekend. Unfortunately, it's not available on their site anymore, but I'll be on the lookout if it pops up again. I wouldn't hesitate getting a few pounds and freezing it for when I want a fruit forward cup.

HRace

#102: Post by HRace »

Vibrant coffee roasters emailed out a new blueberry-forward coffee. First tasting note is listed as strawberry so who knows. I'll post a link and then a description from their email. Usually they are pretty close on their tasting notes. I may give it a try.

https://www.vibrantcoffeeroasters.com/shop/p/rwenzori

"Do you miss the good old blueberry-forward naturals from Ethiopia? Much has been written about the change in flavor profile of Ethiopian coffees, particularly this incredible piece by Christopher Feran, and what we're left with are some really fantastic coffees, but with different character than what we're used to. Those blueberry-forward coffees can still be found, but they are not as ubiquitous as they once were. Much to our surprise, we've found that profile with this Cosmic Natural from the Rwenzori Mountains in Western Uganda! We taste nothing but strawberry, blueberry, and grape."

Jeff
Team HB

#103: Post by Jeff »

Chris' post is, for me, informative and dense, and well worth reading if you want to understand more about Ethiopian coffee, past and present.

https://christopherferan.com/2023/04/09 ... -ethiopia/

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#104: Post by walr00s »

It's interesting. It seems to generally be saying that demand has driven Ethiopian coffee quality down, but the real reason blueberry bombs aren't as common is because the processing methods have improved with respect to protecting against fade. It also seems to suggest that lower quality specialty lots, particularly from Sidamo, are more likely to have those berry bombs. I guess the implication is that raised beds and shade aren't as common for the lower quality producers in that region...Am I reading that back right? Hope so, since I just ordered a few pounds of lower grade Sidamos.

lordjeebus

#105: Post by lordjeebus »

Jofari wrote:I was very impressed with this roast from Compass Coffee Roasters. Lots of blueberry notes in combination with tropical fruit and floral notes. It's a very clean tasting natural processed coffee with no funkiness. The barista informed me that it's their highest rated coffee they've roasted and sold to-date.

https://www.compasscoffeeroasting.com/s ... -wush-wush
Thank you for this recommendation. I was so impressed by this blueberry bomb that I reactivated my dormant home-barista account to recommend it to everyone.

viteaux

#106: Post by viteaux »

walr00s wrote:It's interesting. It seems to generally be saying that demand has driven Ethiopian coffee quality down, but the real reason blueberry bombs aren't as common is because the processing methods have improved with respect to protecting against fade. It also seems to suggest that lower quality specialty lots, particularly from Sidamo, are more likely to have those berry bombs. I guess the implication is that raised beds and shade aren't as common for the lower quality producers in that region...Am I reading that back right? Hope so, since I just ordered a few pounds of lower grade Sidamos.
That's how I understood the article also. Did you order greens, and if so, may I ask where?

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#107: Post by walr00s »

Home roast coffee and sweet Maria's. I will post again if any of them pan out

viteaux

#108: Post by viteaux »

Thanks! I just ordered 5lbs of the Ethiopia Sidamo FT Organic Oromia G 4 Natural Coffee from Home Roast Coffee. I'll report back with results and we can compare notes!

Jofari

#109: Post by Jofari »

lordjeebus wrote:Thank you for this recommendation. I was so impressed by this blueberry bomb that I reactivated my dormant home-barista account to recommend it to everyone.
That's high praise! But I agree - this is my favorite coffee that I've had in recent memory (referring to the Israel Degafa Wush Wush).

godlyone

#110: Post by godlyone replying to Jofari »

I ordered this one based on your rave reviews and must say it was absolutely excellent!!

Thanks