Blue Bottle California Single-Origin release

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
coffeemmichael

#1: Post by coffeemmichael »

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/store/cali ... d-organics

$65/100g

Have some red caturra greens from good lands in my freezer, interested to see what everyone else has thought of our new coffee origin

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Had to be Blue Bottle...

I'm interested, but I'll see if they're offering this by the cup instead locally. Results have been mixed for me in the past with beans they've sent my way.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
coffeemmichael (original poster)

#3: Post by coffeemmichael (original poster) »

jbviau wrote:I'm interested, but I'll see if they're offering this by the cup instead locally.
https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/farmer-b ... e-success/
$16/cup in their stores

HoldTheOnions

#4: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I think they forgot the decimals.

CwD

#5: Post by CwD »

I mean, the lot size has to be absurdly small, and they're paying US wages to the farmers. Price is no surprise.

Would pay for a cup just to try, but even if I understand why it's still too steep to pay for the beans. Especially when some are going to be wasted in dialing.

spearfish25

#6: Post by spearfish25 »

Quite the price for a first time single origin with no track record.

Anyone interested in some Naples FL SO? I'll put something together. $80/oz. special deal.

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

spearfish25 wrote:Quite the price for a first time single origin with no track record.
They have a track record. Their coffee has been discussed here a few times. It's in my opinion on the same level as Hawaiian coffee. Good Land Organics should be having more trees maturing (including some geisha) in coming years, increasing their yield. That is, if they get the much needed rain they need.

When I was there a few years ago, the caturra was better than the geisha by a far margin. I do fully expect their cup scores to increase, but keep in mind you're paying for their large overhead and small volume, not cup scores.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#8: Post by jbviau »

Just to follow up, on 12/14 I was able to confirm that a nearby Blue Bottle had some of this coffee available to serve by the cup, so I went down for a taste. To my surprise, they were serving it out of their "Perfectly Ground" airtight packs. Brewed as a pourover. I enjoyed the cup more than I'd expected to. There was a pronounced, dark [mangrove] honey sweetness to it, and the acidity reminded me of apricots. It wasn't particularly floral. I'm looking forward to trying more from Good Land in whole bean form at some point down the line.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias