Blending coffee beans

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
63isme

#1: Post by 63isme »

I'm considering blending these Compass Coffee beans, 50/50. Never tried or read anything about doing so. Good idea?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

You have a single dosing grinder, so mix 7-9 grams of one with the same for the other, and try it. Given their description, Delirium is a lighter roast than Handlebar, so you an even grind the Handlebar coarser, the Delirium finer, to optimize their respective flavors.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Anything that I buy or is given to me that I don't like is automatically blended with something that I do like and is usually a successful experiment after I figure out the ratios and grind settings.

As someone once said, "What have you got to lose?"
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

caeffe

#4: Post by caeffe »

I had a similar question but more general. Do you blend them in the grinder together or mix them together after they're ground individually?
Blending Light Roasted beans with Dark Roasted beans
Here's how individually I grind them
1. Dark Roasted - lets call these the zero setting at the grinder (Mazzer Major)
2. Light Roasted - I have to grind these much finer to get the same output (ratio and time) as the Dark Roast; about 3-5 notches finer

If i blend them in the grinder do I grind in-between the 2 settings? or is it best to grind them separately then blend?
LMWDP #162

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I single dose blended doses of ~18g. Usually 15g of what I like with 3g of what I don't like as much & shoot for 1:2 ratio in the cup and work out from there, usually starting off with a relatively fine grind and long preinfusion.

Beans I don't like are mostly either just not to my taste or just one dimensional in taste profile.

YMMV

63isme (original poster)

#6: Post by 63isme (original poster) »

Thank you for your suggestions, I'm looking forward to experimenting with both of the methods recommended once these beans are ready, just roasted yesterday. 10 lbs should be enough to get it dialed in :D

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

63isme wrote:10 lbs should be enough to get it dialed in :D
You might consider 'Blending' some of your beans in individual Baggies of whatever weight you might consider convenient and freeze till needed.

Advertisement
63isme (original poster)

#8: Post by 63isme (original poster) »

I typically freeze it all in weekly quantities. Pull some out each week as needed. Maybe once I come up with a nice ratio as you mentioned I'll freeze it in that configuration.