Black Rifle Coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
iploya

#1: Post by iploya »

Anyone have experience with this? I'd be interested how their stuff compares to the specialty coffee that can be ordered online from various roasters.

I am switching a family member's subscription from another roaster to Black Rifle for a few months just to try. My expectations are managed (different business model, seems to be high-volume nationally advertised) but the person I am buying for is pretty open minded. BR does have lots of options in terms of beans and roast levels, so that might be nice for someone looking for a variety in their subscription.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Milligan »

The one bag I tried tasted like typical commercial, high volume coffee. Better than Starbucks burnt coffee, but not what I would consider specialty from what I've sampled. There would be many roasters I'd consider a sub from before Black Rifle.

pdx-climber

#3: Post by pdx-climber »

I went to one of their cafes ones. I was not impressed. Then I went to another specialty shop that used to have great coffee. They switched to their beans. Again very unimpressed.

SutterMill

#4: Post by SutterMill »

Milligan wrote:The one bag I tried tasted like typical commercial, high volume coffee. Better than Starbucks burnt coffee, but not what I would consider specialty from what I've sampled. There would be many roasters I'd consider a sub from before Black Rifle.
This echos my experience as well. Decent high volume coffee but nothing thats going to knock your socks off. I've only tried 2 bags

ReignDrops

#5: Post by ReignDrops »

I feel that almost all of their line up is over roasted and this is coming from a guy who enjoys Lavazza Gold Selection, Lavazza Super Crema, Blue Bottle Hayes, and Caffe Lusso GMC. Their light side of a medium roast is actually oily.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso »

tried it in Utah a couple of times and regretted it both times. Seems like their image is more important to them than their coffee. They might help more veterans if they had better coffee.
LMWDP #580

Chert

#7: Post by Chert »

There is an account not far from here and I haven't tried it. Like all franchise and expanded cafes, they may or may not represent the brand very well.

Are your comments based on skilled brewing / extracting or is the roast poored down in the venues you visited?
LMWDP #198

cmin

#8: Post by cmin »

Black Rifle is what we call a 'lifestyle' company in our sector, their not a coffee company, that's just their gimmick attached. Props to their business development and IPO and $ they've made, but their coffee is terrible lol. I got various stuff of theirs out of curiosity. They specialize in marketing, not coffee ;)

It taste barely a notch above Starbucks, even their lighter stuff taste like burnt ashes/smoke.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by LBIespresso »

Chert wrote:
Are your comments based on skilled brewing / extracting or is the roast poored down in the venues you visited?
Both times that I had it were downtown SLC at different shops. I don't remember which ones but they had proper equipment. I always look for scales and at the cleanliness of the grinder hopper as a sign. These places passed that test or I wouldn't have gotten anything. I don't remember anything more than not liking the espresso. It's been a while. I didn't know BRC's politics at the time but liked the idea of supporting veterans. I just didn't like their coffee and here is not the place to discuss their politics, but like I said, at the time I was unaware of it.
LMWDP #580