Black and White Roasters - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MB

#61: Post by MB »

I just tried the Daya Bensa - Anaerobic Honey at 5 days post roast. We were out of fresh milk at work, so naturally we made affogattos :D. Wow, peachy and delicious.
LMWDP #472

Spacekillguy

#62: Post by Spacekillguy »

Got the Daya Bensa as well and brewed my first cup with French press, 8 days post roast. Wonderful flavors of apricot and mandarin, the aroma and body reminds me of an excellent cup of tea.

Advertisement
clc12rock

#63: Post by clc12rock »

Just went to their location in downtown Raleigh. Got a shot of Evaristo Gomez and a pourover of Gesha Village Natural and a bag of the Daya Bensa Anaerobic Honey roasted on 10/7. The shot and pourover were both really good, the grape really stood out in the shot, but it was still pretty well balanced and the pourover was very fruit forward. Looking forward to cracking open this Daya Bensa! The barista said it's his favorite coffee right now. Gonna try it this afternoon and see how it is. Barista recommended I let it rest for a couple more days.

Iowa_Boy

#64: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Have been going through a bag of the Classic and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Seems like a very versatile coffee. Have tried as espresso, Americano, and with almond milk. All have been excellent - flavor notes seem right on.
I tried something yesterday just for fun. Rather than making a traditional Americano, I just let the shot run long. 18 grams in, 105 grams out, 201 degrees, 80 seconds was the shot time. Completely untraditional, I know. The results I thought were outstanding, accentuation of all the flavor notes and I could not detect any bitterness. This was on a Breville Dual Boiler/Monolith MC3. If anyone else tries this coffee, I would be curious to see your thoughts on a similar shot to see how you think it tastes!

Shenrei

#65: Post by Shenrei »

I'm one of the few that did not enjoy The Classic, in both drip and espresso. However, I did like The Original.
- Tim

3cordcreations

#66: Post by 3cordcreations »

I ordered 2lbs of the Daya Bensa Anaerobic process so I hope we like it! :lol:
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

Jebez
Supporter

#67: Post by Jebez »

I loved the Classic (used for espresso). One of the tastiest espressos I've ever brewed.
Unfortunately, my experience with the Natural was quite the opposite. I waited a week post roast, and found it to be unpleasant in ways I find difficult to describe. It's now about 14 days past roast, and it's still unpleasant. I followed the roaster's recommended parameters. As they say, taste is subjective, so perhaps it's just me.

Advertisement
grind727

#68: Post by grind727 »

Jebez wrote: Unfortunately, my experience with the Natural was quite the opposite. I waited a week post roast, and found it to be unpleasant in ways I find difficult to describe. It's now about 14 days past roast, and it's still unpleasant. I followed the roaster's recommended parameters. As they say, taste is subjective, so perhaps it's just me.
I've been using the Natural on and off since B&W first opened their doors and I've always loved it. Although, I feel like the most recent batch hasn't been as stellar. Although today I inadvertently pulled a shot a little cooler and longer than usual and it was pretty good. Not as good as some of the batches I've had over the past year or so - I haven't been getting the cherry flavors I've always loved - but not bad either.

I've loved nearly all their SO's that I've tried.
LMWDP #717

lancealot (original poster)

#69: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

edited*

I had written here that I purchased a bag the Natural after not having had it for about 3 months and it was not what I remember. Well, memory is fallible and the perception of taste is easily skewed or "developed" over time and conditioning through exposure to other inputs. One or all of these thigns happened to me. After using this coffee for the past 2 days, I am happy with the Natural and I do think the bag I have is consistent with the bags I have bought in the past.

I DO wish it had more chocolaty tones. I want for a Brazil and Ethiopia blend that is chocolate and fruit.

doctorold

#70: Post by doctorold »

I am struggling to get the Classic dialed in to something that is pleasing. No success. Any suggestions. I'm all ears.