Black and White Roasters - Page 43

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
NYFilter93

#421: Post by NYFilter93 »

There's a shop by name that serves them. Good selection, but I wish they had more washed and less anaerobic/experimental process coffees. I can only have them so often.

JavaRanger

#422: Post by JavaRanger »

Spacekillguy wrote:I can confirm the Wilder Lasso Gesha is an absolute banger. Been pulling turbo shots with them, and it's ridiculously floral and sweet. Definitely a bit of a splurge, but honestly I think it's earned it's price considering the many other geshas it's competing with.
You sold me, I haven't had B&W in a while. I'm going to have to try this.

chanty 77

#423: Post by chanty 77 »

Some questions.
I enjoy the Classic & Traditional in that order. I've tried the Natural--was pretty decent. I am very interested in trying the Holiday blend--but the mulled wine makes me nervous. Does that make it more sour or bitterish? Also, anyone try this one--Diego Campos (notes sweet citrus, plum, brown sugar). If so, what are your thoughts on it? thanks

Ivyb82

#424: Post by Ivyb82 »

I'm on my 2nd batch and have used it daily with my Hario Switch with great results. It's definitely not "winey". The most prominent note at first is cinnamon, but everything comes together well as the cup cools. It's a nice contrast from the typical light roasts that I've been using. I highly recommend giving it a try.

chanty 77

#425: Post by chanty 77 replying to Ivyb82 »

Is this what you would consider a "light" roast? I really do not care for light roasts. What I seem to stick with are pretty much medium roasts. Thanks.

Ivyb82

#426: Post by Ivyb82 »

It's a medium roast.

ziggomatic

#427: Post by ziggomatic »

I'm drinking the holiday blend right now as a pour over, and about to pull some shots of the original blend. Both are fantastic as espresso.

The holiday blend is an awesome coffee but know that it has a fairly strong cinnamon note to it. It's super enjoyable to me as straight shots can taste of apple pie, spiced cider, etc. and in a cappuccino it tastes wonderful. Though if you don't like cinnamon I wouldn't recommend pulling this as espresso.

My best results with the holiday blend came from dosing around 19 grams in an 18 gram basket, and pulling 1.8-2:1 shots in a relatively short amount of time. My best results with their original blend have roughly the same parameters but benefit from a slightly longer time.

On my DE1 Cremina profile, These are my 2 favorite espressos I've had all year.

chanty 77

#428: Post by chanty 77 replying to ziggomatic »

I enjoy cinnamon--probably for exactly what it is--a here & there specialty bean. Have you ever tried this one? Diego Campos (notes sweet citrus, plum, brown sugar). If so, what are your thoughts on it? thanks

ziggomatic

#429: Post by ziggomatic »

I think I had this one last year and it's delicious, though definitely even more cinnamon forward. I prefer the holiday blend.

cskorton

#430: Post by cskorton »

Their holiday blend absolutely blew my mind, it's one of the best coffees I've had in quite a long time. For those that are familiar with European spiced Christmas treats with candied fruit in them, this tastes exactly like that.

For spices - think cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice, and even a little bit of white pepper that I can occasionally taste in the back of my throat.

For candied fruit - it can be quite jammy, but it reminds me of citron and orange peel. Maybe sugar plum jam too?

Anyone familiar with Roccocco cookies from Naples? It tastes just like them. Similarly, there's an excellent Italian (Sicilian) bakery here in Philadelphia that makes small cookies called Mostaccioli that taste very similar to this coffee (they're different from the chocolate Mostaccioli made in Puglia).