Black and White Roasters - Page 36

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
limonengelb

#351: Post by limonengelb »

I seem to recall enjoying classic at a really long pull (40-45s) with a 2.5 ratio. 202 temp, IIRC. But that's been awhile. I tend to prefer natural as my everyday.

Kran

#352: Post by Kran »

I never found the Classic to be in my taste preference range. It was ok, but not something I would drink continually. The only year-round I really liked was the Future, when they had it. The SO's though I really like.

Currently drinking the Jorge Raul Rivera - Pacamara Natural #88. It's very grape forward as a cap and drip with the cocoa nib at the end. Was a little too grape for me pulled as 1:1.5 shot or drip. I just pulled a very tight shot at 15g in, 18g out in 45s and this tasted warm cocoa forward with hints of grape. It was a solid cup.

MSS

#353: Post by MSS »

I just walked up the stairs with a Jorge Raul Rivera - Pacamara Natural #88 cap. and read your post. It is very grape forward, I agree too much grape. I'll tighten up my pull and see what happens. Coincidences amaze me, dont have a very exciting life!

Kran

#354: Post by Kran »

Hah! I also think the grape fades a little bit as the bean ages, getting close to 12 days post roast.

I'm hoping to try the Fredy Sabillon Parainema Honey next.

MSS

#355: Post by MSS »

Worka Chelbesa - Hydro from Black and White - pulled as a ristretto, really great, very surprised, I ordered two more pds. The flavor pallet is right on, FLORAL, BLUE RASPBERRY, TINNED PEACHES, HONEYDEW SORBET. Capp was great as well, pulled a tight shot.

Ken5

#356: Post by Ken5 »

nameisjoey wrote:Anyone notice that The Future blend is no longer on the site? I wonder if they discontinued it temporarily or entirely?
Hi Joey,

I just asked B&W if 'the future' is coming back and they said next week, though not sure of exact date yet. I am looking forward to trying it.

I also asked when their bright new year 2022 is being removed and he said end of month. I liked this roast, so I may place an order before the future is released, next time. :(

Anyone have a straight espresso roast recommendation other than the regulars from B&W?

Ken

nameisjoey

#357: Post by nameisjoey replying to Ken5 »

That's great news! Looking forward to grabbing a couple pounds of the future to keep at work.

Besides the regulars, and I can't speak from experience since I've never had it, but supposedly the forest green label is in the same vein as The Classic but with a bit higher quality beans. Additionally, the red label is the same idea but with The Natural. I've had a red label coffee and it was super good as espresso. I'm sure the forest green would also be great as espresso and possibly pair with milk a bit better if that's your thing.

chanty 77

#358: Post by chanty 77 »

I tried the Edgar Erazo (Vanilla, milk choc., white grape) and the Gallito (Candied citrus, plum, brown sugar), and to be perfectly honest? Wasn't crazy about either one. I can't say I was able to get any of the notes listed. To dial some of the over brightness (to me) out, had to up the temp. to 203°. Both required the grind to be finer than other blends & needed more grams of beans to achieve a balance. I thought both blends were just 'okay'. Nothing really stood out for me. That being said, I have no idea what the Future is like in notes since it isn't on their website at this point. I am waiting for their Classic & Traditional to arrive in the mail. Those I have ordered a number of times & enjoy.

michael

#359: Post by michael »

MSS wrote:Worka Chelbesa - Hydro from Black and White - pulled as a ristretto, really great, very surprised, I ordered two more pds. The flavor pallet is right on, FLORAL, BLUE RASPBERRY, TINNED PEACHES, HONEYDEW SORBET. Capp was great as well, pulled a tight shot.
1:1 ristretto this morning, vg+, the anaerobic is also vg+ as a ristretto, could be the best coffees I've purchased from black and white

Ken5

#360: Post by Ken5 »

nameisjoey wrote:That's great news! Looking forward to grabbing a couple pounds of the future to keep at work.
It's back on the site. Gonna order a bag as soon as I pick a second roast. Was going to order the new year blend as I enjoyed that, but they took it down a day before the month ended. :(