Black and White Roasters - Page 35

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#341: Post by baristainzmking »

I have a different experience with the holiday blend. I don't taste mulled wine, I taste beer...fermentation if you will. I tried cooler and hotter temperature, longer and shorter shots, but just couldn't drink it either straight or in a small latte. Gave it to my son and husband to try and both drinks went directly into the sink. I usually like black and white roasters, both their single origins and year round blends, but this one.....
Julia

chanty 77

#342: Post by chanty 77 »

Kran wrote:I'm also really enjoying the Holiday Blend as a capp. I pull a 1:1 shot for the milk drink. I've gone through 2 bags now.
What stands out in the flavors/notes to you in this blend? I might order a bag before it is gone along with my normal Classic or Traditional. I only drink capps (2 doubles with about 5oz. steamed milk with froth on top)

chanty 77

#343: Post by chanty 77 »

Anyone try Edgar Erazo blend? For milk drinks? Thanks.

nameisjoey

#344: Post by nameisjoey »

Working through a 5# bag of The Natural after a looong time away from it.

I'm kinda disappointed to be honest, which is tough to admit since this has always been the blend I've claimed as my all time favorite. It's really thin. Flavor isn't bad by any means and overall tastes just fine straight and in milk. But I'm really surprised by the lack of body. I've even pulled it 22g in and 50g out, ground using my Pharos. Usually that's a surefire way to pull lots of body. I've also done 18>36 and even 1:1 and still was lacking there.

Oh well, must be just spoiled from all of the wonderful SO's I've had from them lately.

chanty 77

#345: Post by chanty 77 replying to nameisjoey »

That's too bad. I tried the Natural once, and it was just kind of "meh" to me--so stuck with the Traditional & Classic. I did ask at B&W what they would suggest if I wanted to try something just for a little some different in flavors but not too acidic & similar to the Classic (sometimes one gets tired of same old same old). He recommended the Edgar Erazo. The white grape in it sounds different? I also thought of trying the Holiday Blend, but the mulled wine flavor makes me think.....vinegary, sour.

Kran

#346: Post by Kran »

chanty 77 wrote:What stands out in the flavors/notes to you in this blend? I might order a bag before it is gone along with my normal Classic or Traditional. I only drink capps (2 doubles with about 5oz. steamed milk with froth on top)
I get the mulled wine and spice (cinnamon) in the capp (~15-20 g espresso and steamed milk up to top of my 5oz cup).

chanty 77

#347: Post by chanty 77 »

Anyone try these: Edgar Erazo and/or Gallito de las Rocas? Very curious. Supposedly in line of the Classic but different at the same time. Thanks.

sluflyer06

#348: Post by sluflyer06 »

After all the hype in this thread I ordered 2# of the Classic for espressos. I gotta admit I haven't had a single shot I think is good. They're all boring and kinda that dark roasted coffee flavor with no real standout notes. what am I missing? Should I try a different bean from them?

Ive tried..
1:1
1:2
1:2.5
18in vst
Everywhere from 198-201F
Everything from 24-29s at each ratio
Nothing works. I'm lost this bean also requires a finer grind than almost anything I've ever pulled a shot of.

jdrobison

#349: Post by jdrobison replying to sluflyer06 »

I haven't had that one because the description doesn't really suit my preferences. I wouldn't give up on them, though. I just finished The Natural and enjoyed it both straight and as a cap.

sluflyer06

#350: Post by sluflyer06 replying to jdrobison »

I'll try a different bean then. I did just try one up at 203F and may have got somewhere. May take it up to 204 for last shot of the day.