Black and White Roasters - Page 32

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nameisjoey

#311: Post by nameisjoey »

chanty 77 wrote:Just opened & tried for the first time the B&W Natural. LOVED it. Getting cherry (sweeter, not sour) notes and maybe chocolate. It is easier for me to detect fruit/citrus notes than chocolate. All I know is that I loved it. Hopefully, I'll feel the same about it tomorrow. So impressed with B&W beans. Can just taste the quality in them. So far have tried, Classic, Traditional & now the Natural.
So glad you finally tried it and so glad you like it so much! Hope you continue to enjoy it. I need to get some again, I've been really into their seasonal offerings but really want to next order go back to The Natural for awhile. They definitely have some great quality beans!

chanty 77

#312: Post by chanty 77 replying to nameisjoey »

I have to say out of the ton of roasters I have tried thus far---B&W is the most quality & favorite of mine. I did really enjoy Olympia Sweetheart blend; wanted to check their Truck one--but can't get past the $13 shipping that comes up for two 12oz. bags. I never order more than that until I'm positive I really like it.....a lot. They say it is $8 shipping, but explained it comes up on line as $13 for two 12oz. bags. Never heard back.

Ken5

#313: Post by Ken5 »

Thanks Joey and John! I ordered it and I am looking forward to trying it! :)

Nik

#314: Post by Nik »

nameisjoey wrote:Definitely won't flavor a grinder or anything. It's flavored with cinnamon during the processing stage, not after roasting. So it's not a topping but part of the post harvest processing before being dried.

You will have no issues with it contaminating a grinder. This is completely different from what you've tried before. I did not re-order but yes it's absolutely good enough to. For sure worth a try for anyone who likes alternative processed coffees.
This was my experience. I was pleasantly surprised with the flavor profile. It was definitely different. The cinnamon flavor was definitely up front. The body of the coffee is superb. I used it for several days and got tired of the cinnamon and blended it with Ethiopia Wuri to tone the cinnamon down. This was more satisfying to my palate. I couldn't finish the entire bag of it but I do appreciate the creative effort that went into producing it. B&W is one of my top sources. Consistently dependable in bringing higher quality beans to the market at a fair price.

jdrobison

#315: Post by jdrobison replying to Nik »

I just started drinking it straight after finishing my regular espresso and, while I do like it, I can see how it might be tiring after a while. However, I can't get enough of it under milk. So good!

Ken5

#316: Post by Ken5 replying to jdrobison »

Mine is coming tomorrow, was roasted on Tuesday. It's going to be hard waiting another 7 or so days to try it.

lancealot (original poster)

#317: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

Re: The Natural. I haven't had the current formulation. Is it still berries and chocolate? One of the recent posts here mentioned something about not tasting chocolate.

Also, their site's description mentions citrus acidity. I don't like citrus flavors in my coffee. In previous formulations of the Natural I have been able to get rid of any and all citrus notes. Is that going to be the case with the current formulation?

Lastly, has anyone tried the #ENDALS blend? Sounds like a winner to me.

chanty 77

#318: Post by chanty 77 replying to lancealot »

I've only been on day 3 of The Natural. I don't mind a little citrus as long as it doesn't take over. I"m still "playing" with this a little. It is really difficult for me to pick up on chocolates/nuts (don't ask me why), but I can usually pick up on fruit. I detected a very flavorful cherry, but not a "tart" cherry, more just sweeter cherry. Now yesterday, I did notice some citrus, wanted to try & tone it down somewhat (wasn't bad--cuz I will buy this blend again)--so moved temp. from 203° to 204°. That was a mistake as it was almost bitter & burnt tasting at that temp--so turned it back down to 203°. It reminded me of the Olympia Sweetheart blend. I would like to try a different blend, but also don't like too much citrus, almost nil citrus in my blends. I like some fruit/other dimensions--get too bored with a one dimensional espresso.

***On Day 7 of the Natural. Still enjoy it, but the acidic is maybe a tad more than I normally enjoy. Initially I really thought I got sweeter cherry, but now it seems over the days it is more of a tart or acidic cherry. I have the temp still at 203°. Like I mentioned, pumped temp up to 204°--was way too bitter. Still enjoyed it more than a lot of other blends I've tried at other roasters.

mgallagh

#319: Post by mgallagh »

Making my way through the last of a bag of #ENDALS and it's really good. A lot of blueberry now that it's had a couple weeks and definitely that comes out more on the 1:2.5 or 1:3 end for me. Pulled a little shorter and it's a lot of overripe berries and raspberry flavor but still good. I'd pick up a bag if you like fruit-forward; was craving blueberry in my espresso so I picked up some with the cinnamon anaerobic and love them both - the cinnamon in Esteban Zamora really shines iced for me, if folks haven't tried it yet.

lancealot (original poster)

#320: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

Thanks! What temp are you pulling #ENDALS?