Black and White Roasters - Page 31

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nameisjoey

#301: Post by nameisjoey »

I've been wondering why B&W hasn't done a blend yet. I'm considering getting a bag of classic and anotherof natural, mixing them together equal parts to see how it is.

I would imagine it would be a nice syrupy bodies sweet and subtly fruity shot - anyone tried this before?

Jeff
Team HB

#302: Post by Jeff »

"Origin | Ethiopia Refisa Washed, Mexico Esteve Natural"

https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/products/the-natural

chanty 77

#303: Post by chanty 77 »

Thanks all.

chanty 77

#304: Post by chanty 77 »

Peppersass wrote:A 1:1.5 brew ratio would give you 25.5g of beverage in the cup with a 17g dose. It might work at 20 seconds, but more likely you would want to grind finer to give the water more contact time -- say 25-35 seconds for the shot.

A Ristretto is more concentrated, so usually one will punch through milk just fine. In fact, back when the trend was toward darker roasts, many cafes pulled Ristretto for their milk drinks to minimize bitterness from over-extraction.

I recommend that you weigh all your shots. It's an essential part of dialing in and ensuring consistency.
Just did a double shot, very good, 16.9g in & 25.6g out at about 27 seconds

nameisjoey

#305: Post by nameisjoey »

Jeff wrote:"Origin | Ethiopia Refisa Washed, Mexico Esteve Natural"

https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/products/the-natural
Yes, that offering is currently a blend - but not always. I meant more as in a "cross label" blend.

nguye569

#306: Post by nguye569 »

I just started pulling "The Natural" in the past couple of weeks and I'm really liking it. One of my favorites at this point for a straight espresso.

It holds up decently in a 6oz sized milk drink, but I haven't tried it in 8 to 10oz yet.

chanty 77

#307: Post by chanty 77 replying to nguye569 »

Just opened & tried for the first time the B&W Natural. LOVED it. Getting cherry (sweeter, not sour) notes and maybe chocolate. It is easier for me to detect fruit/citrus notes than chocolate. All I know is that I loved it. Hopefully, I'll feel the same about it tomorrow. So impressed with B&W beans. Can just taste the quality in them. So far have tried, Classic, Traditional & now the Natural.

Ken5

#308: Post by Ken5 »

nameisjoey wrote:I'm working through my bag of Esteban Zamora - Cinnamon Anaerobic and holy smokes. This is the most unique coffee I've had in a long time. It's got a ton of cinnamon but also a lot of creaminess that comes through and something I can only pinpoint as baked goods flavor that comes through. It's delicious in a straight shot, americano, and in milk. I usually don't like single origins and alternative processed coffees in milk but this one the flavor profile just slams in milk. It tastes like it flavored with cinnamon milk which is just super good to me.
Hi Joey, or anyone that can answer the first question. :)

I see in the description at b&w that the Esteban Zamora gets it's cinnamon flavor from soaking 46 kilos of cherry fruit in 1 kilo of cinnamon powder. Would these beans stink up a grinder like flavored coffee? Is this flavored coffee? I once bought a roast that had chocolate flavoring rather than the chocolate just being a note and I promised to myself I would never do that again.

Did you like this enough to reorder?

Thanks!

Ken

jdrobison

#309: Post by jdrobison replying to Ken5 »

You won't notice it in the grinder. The cinnamon is soaked into the bean rather than being "applied" to it. It's subtle but apparent in the grind but nothing left behind in the grinder.

nameisjoey

#310: Post by nameisjoey »

Ken5 wrote:Hi Joey, or anyone that can answer the first question. :)

I see in the description at b&w that the Esteban Zamora gets it's cinnamon flavor from soaking 46 kilos of cherry fruit in 1 kilo of cinnamon powder. Would these beans stink up a grinder like flavored coffee? Is this flavored coffee? I once bought a roast that had chocolate flavoring rather than the chocolate just being a note and I promised to myself I would never do that again.

Did you like this enough to reorder?

Thanks!

Ken
Definitely won't flavor a grinder or anything. It's flavored with cinnamon during the processing stage, not after roasting. So it's not a topping but part of the post harvest processing before being dried.

You will have no issues with it contaminating a grinder. This is completely different from what you've tried before. I did not re-order but yes it's absolutely good enough to. For sure worth a try for anyone who likes alternative processed coffees.