Black and White Roasters - Page 29

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#281: Post by chanty 77 »

My first time ordering B&W. Drinking the Classic for almost a week now, and really enjoying it. There is some acidity in it---but tasty. I guess I mean not overbearing--just some fruit I'm getting, but not too much. I've never been able to say, "Oh, this caramel, this is nuts, this is chocolate". I can pick out various fruit, but not so much other notes. All I know is that it's mellow and am really enjoying it. Next bag I open will be the Traditional.

tennisman03110

#282: Post by tennisman03110 »

On the B&W website, they have a V60 method that instructs you to do two main pours. But let the bed go dry between pours.

I can't find anything else on this method....anyone know? Is it just what they do?

I just got a bag of Sisters Rivera. It's great as pourover, I tried the V60 method. Struggling with it as espresso.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#283: Post by baldheadracing »

tennisman03110 wrote:On the B&W website, they have a V60 method that instructs you to do two main pours. But let the bed go dry between pours.

I can't find anything else on this method....anyone know? Is it just what they do?
Not sure if there is any connection, but seven-plus years ago, Chris Chekan of now-defunct Monarch Methods developed a similar method while he was working at Pilot Coffee Roasters in Toronto. It has been my go-to method for 19g of light-roast since then. (The Monarch Methods kettles were designed for the method.) Details at: https://www.pilotcoffeeroasters.com/bre ... /pourover/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

nameisjoey

#284: Post by nameisjoey »

I'm working through my bag of Esteban Zamora - Cinnamon Anaerobic and holy smokes. This is the most unique coffee I've had in a long time. It's got a ton of cinnamon but also a lot of creaminess that comes through and something I can only pinpoint as baked goods flavor that comes through. It's delicious in a straight shot, americano, and in milk. I usually don't like single origins and alternative processed coffees in milk but this one the flavor profile just slams in milk. It tastes like it flavored with cinnamon milk which is just super good to me.

chanty 77

#285: Post by chanty 77 replying to nameisjoey »

What "recipe" do you use with this? I typically like to open a bag post roast 7-9 days, nothing before because it is always too fresh before that & can't 'draw' the various flavors out prior to that. With the two B&W roasts I've tried so far--I really enjoyed the Classic--some acidity, but in a fruit way, not under extracted way. Yesterday I tried the Traditional. I'm going to 'play' with that as far as more grams and a little bit coarser grind. B&W recommend 203°. On the Classic I upped it to 204°, and it was actually starting to be a little bitter--so bumped it back to 203°. The Traditional yesterday was rather "thin" and bland to me for supposedly a more robust of their blends. I'm not going to make a judgment on it though until I try what I mentioned first. Grams on both were 16.8-17, 25-28 seconds. I don't weigh the output--just go by how fast & blonding it gets--then shut it off. Thanks.

Jeff
Team HB

#286: Post by Jeff »

Watching your output ratio will probably help. I notice significant changes in flavor with 10% change in ratio with the same grind and profile. At, say, 2 g/s at the end of extraction, that's only a couple of seconds of judgement on what "done" looks like.

grind727

#287: Post by grind727 »

chanty 77 wrote:Yesterday I tried the Traditional. I'm going to 'play' with that as far as more grams and a little bit coarser grind. B&W recommend 203°. On the Classic I upped it to 204°, and it was actually starting to be a little bitter--so bumped it back to 203°. The Traditional yesterday was rather "thin" and bland to me for supposedly a more robust of their blends. I'm not going to make a judgment on it though until I try what I mentioned first. Grams on both were 16.8-17, 25-28 seconds. I don't weigh the output--just go by how fast & blonding it gets--then shut it off. Thanks.
I just went through a bag of the Traditional and was getting some nice chocolate and cherry with a bit of (what I think of) Italian smokiness with close to a 1:2 ratio (16g in 32g out). I liked it.
LMWDP #717

nameisjoey

#288: Post by nameisjoey »

chanty 77 wrote:What "recipe" do you use with this? I typically like to open a bag post roast 7-9 days, nothing before because it is always too fresh before that & can't 'draw' the various flavors out prior to that. With the two B&W roasts I've tried so far--I really enjoyed the Classic--some acidity, but in a fruit way, not under extracted way. Yesterday I tried the Traditional. I'm going to 'play' with that as far as more grams and a little bit coarser grind. B&W recommend 203°. On the Classic I upped it to 204°, and it was actually starting to be a little bitter--so bumped it back to 203°. The Traditional yesterday was rather "thin" and bland to me for supposedly a more robust of their blends. I'm not going to make a judgment on it though until I try what I mentioned first. Grams on both were 16.8-17, 25-28 seconds. I don't weigh the output--just go by how fast & blonding it gets--then shut it off. Thanks.
I usually start about 7 days post roast and the bag is usually finished up around 20ish days post roast. For sure I prefer the flavor from the 10-20 days the most but usually don't have the patience to wait that long to start.

Milk drinks for lighter SO's I usually go 18-19g in and 36-40 grams out. Today my 19in-40g out in 26 seconds was absolutely wonderful.

Straight shots for lighter SO's I prefer 18-19g in and usually 45-57ishg out. Usually 2.5-3:1 ratios for straight shots.

For the classic I liked 2:1 for straight shots and 1.5-1:1 for milk drinks.

Traditional I liked ristretto for both straight shots and milk drinks. Much sweeter and that good thick body I prefer. Usually 21g in and 21-25g out.

chanty 77

#289: Post by chanty 77 replying to nameisjoey »

Thanks. I never have weighed my output. Well, maybe a few times. I still turn it off when it starts to run a little faster than I prefer....same with the blonding. I visualize more than weigh. The few times I have weighed by visual (faster/blonding)--the output was 28-32g. Today with the Traditional, I made it a tad coarser grind & (believe it or not this is 17days post roast, just opened the bag yesterday) and 17.2g. It was 8 sec to first drip, but ended up running a little faster than I like towards the end of my shot. So I tightened the grind for second double with 17.2g. I may loosen grind tomorrow a tad, and add more grams of beans. It was still pretty good. Taste is so subjective, no? Example, my husband loves dark chocolate about 70-80% dark. Too bitter for me. Yet, I love it around 60%. So I say all that to say that when people taste "dark" chocolate in espresso, it could be wonderful for some, but too bitter for others. I also have always timed when first drip comes out. This may seem like a useless endeavor to some, but for example---if first drip is anywhere from 6-11 seconds, great. If less than 6 seconds, will be thin and sour, if more than 11 seconds, tend to be more bitter. I know this is not how most of you do this. You go by output.

tennisman03110

#290: Post by tennisman03110 »

Has anyone had the Birthday Blend 2021?

It's listed as a light roast, a blend of three regions (ETHIOPIA, UGANDA, KENYA). Notes of VIBRANT, JUICY, TROPICAL, FRUIT SNACKS. Looks somewhat similar to The Future.

I just ordered some today. Hopefully in about 10 days I'll be ready to crack into the bag. I've not had great luck with light roasted B&W on espresso (I'm not a seasoned pro), though all are exceptional on V60.