Black and White Roasters - Page 18

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
dreadnatty08

#171: Post by dreadnatty08 »

Dave (and others), they have a "Ask a Question" box on their site on each individual coffee page just below the coffee specs. I had submitted one about their decaf and Lem responded the next day.

IMAWriter

#172: Post by IMAWriter replying to dreadnatty08 »

Thanks,

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#173: Post by IMAWriter »

Got my 2 # bag of "The Natural" today, a day earlier then expected.
They did me a favor, delaying my shipment till Monday so they could give me Monday's roast, not the previous Friday's roast. So my bag is only 3.5 days post roast!

I'll fight grinding a couple days. I'm freezing about 400 grams...the rest I'll happily consume...

evillalon

#174: Post by evillalon »

The Natural is my favorite compared to The Future. I do prefer my beans at the 2-4 week mark. I didn't have much of a choice but to drink them fresh. I didn't really like them during the first week post post. Its funny to say, but i'd probably prefer if they sent me 1 week old beans that way they'd be closer to being ready for when they arrived
IMAWriter wrote:Got my 2 W# bag of "The Natural" today, a day earlier then expected.
They did me a favor, delaying my shipment till Monday so they could give me Monday's roast, not the previous Friday's roast. So my bag is only 3.5 days post roast!

I'll fight grinding a couple days. I'm freezing about 400 grams...the rest I'll happily consume...

def

#175: Post by def »

IMAWriter wrote:Got my 2 W# bag of "The Natural" today, a day earlier then expected.

Bring a little my way. :D

I received three 12 oz bags of single origin B&W yesterday. I thought I only ordered two, but I must have forgotten about ordering a third. I just tried La Cometa, roasted light-medium, and it is very fresh but ready to drink. Very light profile, just as described -- candied orange, raspberry compote, milk chocolate (just a little, not a lot), but balanced and not sour at all. As straight espresso, tastes light and clean. I set my MAX at 2.0 above zero point, 18g in, 34g out, 200°F (approx) brew temp. Grinding finer and dosing lower would over extract and kill the nice fruit flavors.

Stavey
Supporter ♡

#176: Post by Stavey »

After about 1.25lb of the natural, and trying all sorts of parameters on the DE1+. I'm not very impressed with the natural.
Just my opinion .

IMAWriter

#177: Post by IMAWriter »

David, your wish......

My bag of The Natural simply says "Ethiopian." The beans aren't exactly size-uniform...no surprise there, so it might be 2 different ones. I will say it doesn't have the smell of my previously shipped bag...but in those passing months, the formula could have been adjusted for availability. As it's an Ethiopian, it will be Sunday...at least before the flavors pop.
OT, I'm thinking I may try to find a pre-owned OCD V2. Having a pump machine for the first time in a good while...10 years, my technique was developed around 49mm baskets. Finger swiping a 58mm basket...or the partial Stockfleths is giving me variable results. No squirts and such, just some overly edgy shots. I really like my BDB for light medium to "near" full city coffees. No oil.

Advertisement
def

#178: Post by def »

I tried Don Carlos Natural from Costa Rica yesterday at three days post roast. Acid bomb, and no other flavors behind it to balance. I'll rest it, but typically I end up not liking these types of beans no matter how long post roast.

So I have recently tried 1) Don Carlos, 2) La Cometa, 3) and Eduardo Esteve. The winner is Eduardo Esteve. I have never tasted a coffee from Chiapas I did not like, and this one I love. I first experienced fresh roasted coffee from this region in Chiapas when I visited the town of Unión Juárez, which is near the Guatemalan border and Tacaná Volcano Biosphere Reserve. Very pretty and natural area. This Finca for Eduardo Esteve is nearby (approx 20km straight line). These are very remote areas with narrow roads, far from airports or major cities, so just about everything is done by hand and I doubt any herbicide/pesticides are ever used.

IMAWriter

#179: Post by IMAWriter replying to def »

If you like the Natural, we could trade a #..I'll pay the up charge, as I do a lot of V60 and Kalita.
I'm PM-ing you.

joe mendez

#180: Post by joe mendez »

def wrote:I bought the B&W Eduardo Esteve single origin from Chiapas, MX. It is outstanding coffee/espresso.
I'm looking to try B&W and was looking at the Eduardo Esteve for espresso (latte), do you think it will work for latte's? Is it a medium-dark roast? Is it heavy on the chocolate notes?