Best way to store roasted coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
bigbirney

#1: Post by bigbirney »

I started buying roasted beans and having them shipped the next day. Typically I go through a pound every two weeks. Can they be put in freezer? Does it make a difference either way? Is there a better way to keep them optimally fresh?

tekomino

#2: Post by tekomino »

Here is what I do. For beans that I know I will not get to in 1-2 weeks, I tape over the release valve on the bag and drop it in freezer. Why tape? The release valve is one way but due to freezing I read that it can get stuck in reverse open position so smells from freezer may enter the bag. So I simply tape it over...

Then I also have smaller canning jars that I use once I open the frozen bag. I divide content of frozen 1lb bag to 3 jars, leave one jar outside to defrost night before I plan to use it and store remaining 2 jars in freezer to take them out as needed.

This works well for me.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

My routine is similar to tekomino, except I'll split the coffee up into Mason jars before freezing. However, if I'm pressed for time, I do sometimes simply tape over the one-way valve and drop it in the freezer.

PS: There's a lot more detail about the merits of freezing coffee in the article To Freeze or Not to Freeze and the subsequent feedback thread.
Dan Kehn

Lubby

#4: Post by Lubby »

What has always worked for me assuming you have a wine vacuum is to grab an old wine bottle preferably a green brown or other coloured one (the darker the better). Wash and dry it thoroughly, grab a funnel that has a wide bottom or cut the tip larger on a cheap plastic one. Fill the wine bottle then vacuum it as you would wine. Store in a cool dark place or your wine fridge. Since there is little air and the coloured bottle will deflect a good portion of the incoming light the coffee will stay fresh for quite some time.

If you do not have a wine vacuum they really are quite inexpensive and readily available. I personally like the vacuvin brand.