Best Way To Store Coffee Beans. - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mkane »

My experience says degas comes to a stop close to 48hrs. Every time I vac sealed beans before degas was finished the bags lost vacuum.

jpender

#12: Post by jpender »

The term "degassed" gets used loosely in the coffee world. Roasted whole bean coffee continues to degas for a long time. For weeks. What people mean by degassed is that the initial higher rate of degassing has completed and, along with that, a substantial portion of the CO2 has evolved. At that point it's not as easy to detect. For example, in a vacuum sealed bag you could have significant CO2 released but not enough to bring the bag back to atmospheric pressure. So it would look the same as if no CO2 were emitted.

The rate of degassing and the total amount of CO2 depends on the degree of roast and details of the roasting process. Lighter roasted coffee has less total CO2 than darker roast.

Advertisement
ArtofEspresso (original poster)

#13: Post by ArtofEspresso (original poster) »

Interesting. Thanks!

iploya

#14: Post by iploya »

I know this thread has become as stale as that neglected bag of pre-ground dark roast with no roast date someone discarded behind the Raisin Bran on the WalMart store shelf. But, I only log in every once every few weeks. I enjoyed catching up.

Freezing is indeed the correct practice, but the virtues of freezing get obscured when combined with bad practices like returning the container to the freezer multiple times. I posted a link from Hula Daddy once in another thread on this topic, that I consider the final word on freezing. But don't take my word for it because I know just enough to be dangerous.

I forget how many 16-oz jars I get with a 5-lb bag, something like 10-12 jars. About 3-4 weeks of coffee for me and the wife.

8 oz container seems fine too, but I blow through 16 oz jar quickly enough that it's the most practical size for me.

tobillsung

#15: Post by tobillsung »

I'm using mason jar. It is the cheapest and the bean stays fresh.
I hope this helps.

DSUK69

#16: Post by DSUK69 »

This is my best way to store coffee :D

Dburns

#17: Post by Dburns »

Long term vacuum packed in the fridge like others have posted. Shorter-long term, I always used a good old fashioned zip lock freezer bag. You can easily tell if it is airtight or not.

Advertisement
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#18: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Thought this was an interesting read on degassing.

https://towardsdatascience.com/coffee-b ... 47c8a9d4c9

My solution never roast more than can be consumed within 3 weeks, and if need be give the excess to relatives.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Jeff
Team HB

#19: Post by Jeff »

Some will depend on roast level as well (which is noted in that paper). La Cabra, for example, recommends holding their beans 21 days past roast for espresso.

jpender

#20: Post by jpender »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Thought this was an interesting read on degassing.

https://towardsdatascience.com/coffee-b ... 47c8a9d4c9

That blogger reproduced some of the graphs in his own fashion and mislabeled them as referring to whole beans when they were actually for ground coffee. So when he posted, "As the authors of the study pointed out, most degassing (70%) occurs in the first 24 hours", he didn't realize that this time scale refers to ground coffee, not whole beans. It's weird because right above those graphs he posted other graphs (that were for whole beans) that contradicted the statement.

You're better off reading the paper yourself. It's freely accessible and not highly technical.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.jafc.7b03310