Best temperature for Americano water

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Cwilli62

#1: Post by Cwilli62 »

I read this thread from 2006:

Ideal Americano water temperature

I was wondering if there are any updates on ideal practice or preferences in the last 16 years.

I really like what I call "baby Americano" (there are other names, but that's what I call it) where the drink is equal parts espresso and water.

So...Preferred water temp for adding water to espresso?

lagoon

#2: Post by lagoon »

I use approx 80C hot water.

The style you describe as a baby americano seems to be trending at my local cafes. Typically they are using double shot of espresso on top of about 70ml of hot water. Not quite 1:1, but not far off.

Some cafes now use a preheated urn for the hot water for these drinks, set to an appropriate temperature.

Here's at article that's worth a read
https://www.goodfood.com.au/drinks/the- ... 0411-36j9y

mohninme

#3: Post by mohninme »

The long black is my favorite coffee drink but I don't have any good coffee shops close to me that will make this (short style) without looking at me funny. I generally don't ask for it 50-50 in a go cup because its gone to quick so I get 3-4 ounces of water and the funny look is free. One time, I asked for this and the person pretending to be a Barista filled it right up with water. I reminded her what I asked for and then she promptly poured half of the cup in the sink and handed it back to me. I just turned around and walked away... In shock!

At home I most often make it with 80 or 90 ml water in an ACME tulip cup. My water would be 70-80*C and the cup preheated. My preference is making it long black style as it retains more crema, making the presentation better.

You can buy kettles that hold a set temp for a couple hours while you are doing your coffee making routine. This is high on my list to add to my kitchen. They are not expensive either.
Michael

Cwilli62 (original poster)

#4: Post by Cwilli62 (original poster) »

mohninme wrote:The long black is my favorite coffee drink but I don't have any good coffee shops close to me that will make this (short style) without looking at me funny. I generally don't ask for it 50-50 in a go cup because its gone to quick so I get 3-4 ounces of water and the funny look is free. One time, I asked for this and the person pretending to be a Barista filled it right up with water. I reminded her what I asked for and then she promptly poured half of the cup in the sink and handed it back to me. I just turned around and walked away... In shock!
I usually get a funny look like you described as well. And 3/4 of the time I still receive a drink that has the full amount of water in it. Sigh.

Anyway, 80C is around what I've been using at home too.

guydebord

#5: Post by guydebord »

Im actually not that particular with the water temp of an americano as I am with everything else. I have never sensed any difference besides drinkability due to temperature. So when I fancy one I:

1. Open the hot water valve in my machine, pour 200ml on a cup.
2. Begin the puck preparation-extraction process a bit slower than normal.
3. After the extraction is done I just pour it over the water and enjoy.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Iowa_Boy

#6: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I follow a similar approach as well. I just use the hot water valve on my Breville Dual Boiler. Not sure what temperature it is, but it's plenty hot.
Generally when I am interested in a long black/Americano, I will pull the shot, then add about 70 ML of hot water.
My next purchase will be to find some cool looking coffee spoons as mixing it before drinking is necessary.

Cwilli62 (original poster)

#7: Post by Cwilli62 (original poster) »

I actually prefer drinking my coffee and a much cooler temperature. A bit above "room temp." So perhaps I'll try using water that is not quite so hot so that I can drink it sooner.

Moka 1 Cup

#8: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

For my long black I pour the same water that I use to pull the espresso.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

[creative nickname]

#9: Post by [creative nickname] »

No hotter than 140F for me. I normally pull water into a pitcher before I start measuring our beans for the shot, and by the time the shot is pulled the water is cool enough to add.
LMWDP #435

homeburrero
Team HB

#10: Post by homeburrero »

Iowa_Boy wrote:I just use the hot water valve on my Breville Dual Boiler.
Moka 1 Cup wrote:For my long black I pour the same water that I use to pull the espresso.
Note that the BDB hot water tap is different than many machines because it draws from the brew boiler. Cooler, and likely tastier water than what you'd get from a typical hot water tap from a steam boiler. On many prosumer machines you would do better to pull your Americano water from the group rather than the hot water wand. Or just use fresh water heated to drinking temp by the steam wand or by a kettle.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h