Best instant coffee?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
D_Prince
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by D_Prince »

Taking a cruise soon. I usually just buy coffee where I vacation and find the good local spots. The stuff onboard last time was trash even the "Coffee shop" I don't expect this to have changed. I tried to make pour-overs onboard, and it was awkward and not worth it.

So... anyone know of any instant light roasted coffee that can be consumed and enjoyed black? Again I'd love to support the local coffee shop but that's not always possible.

Please avoid the snark please, as this is an honest and legitimate question.

palica

#2: Post by palica »

Picopresso + hand grinder and you bring your beans. Almost instant, so much better :mrgreen:

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Little's Colombian Premium Instant Coffee doesn't suck. It tastes like coffee, which is saying a lot for instant. The 50 g jar is said to be for about 25 cups. There's also a 100g jar available. I haven't looked at pricing in a few months.

lancealot

#4: Post by lancealot »

I do a lot of backpacking and camping for work. Starbucks VIA blonde satisfies my needs for taste, convenience and cleanup. When I travel for pleasure and stay in doors, I take a hand grinder, electric kettle, scale and clever or aeropress.

tennisman03110

#5: Post by tennisman03110 »

Black and White Coffee has some. It's not exactly cheap, and I've never had it. My assumption is it's good, for instant.

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

Jeff wrote:Little's Colombian Premium Instant Coffee doesn't suck. It tastes like coffee, which is saying a lot for instant. The 50 g jar is said to be for about 25 cups. There's also a 100g jar available. I haven't looked at pricing in a few months.

Doesn't suck is high praise for an instant. I'll have to check that one out. They recommend 2g per 200ml on their website but that's only 1% TDS and kind of a small cup. So I reckon you'd really only get 10-15 cups out of a 50g jar, which sells for $14 on amazon. Consider that an 18g shot of espresso results in about 3.5g of dissolved solids.

I've been a VIA drinker on backpacking trips for some years. It's not that great but with a little sugar and in the context of being in the mountains I usually end up enjoying it. Whenever I've tried it home I spit it out.

I am prepared to be disappointed but I will order a jar of that Little's stuff and see for myself.

tv79

#7: Post by tv79 »

Cometeer is the best "instant" option I've tried, assuming you'll have access to a small freezer.

jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

Australia is a place where you can generally count on a getting good coffee when you order it. But at the same time they drink a lot of instant. I think the majority of coffee consumed there is instant. In my experience their instants are on average superior to those sold in the U.S. I can't remember the names of the ones I've liked the best (disliked the least?) but I do recall the brands "Robert Timms" and "Mccona". Maybe they are available at a reasonable price here?

It's still instant though.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

I just ordered some B&W instant packets out of curiosity. I'm not quite sure how they do theirs. I've seen the "tea packet" style and also the ones you simply stir and let dissolve. I can report back once I try it. My expectation are a bit high seeing as it has B&Ws name on it.

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by wingnutsglory »