Best instant coffee? - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jpender

#31: Post by jpender »

Mbb wrote:I don't know what cruise you're going on but any instant coffee is should be trash compared to regular coffee you can get.

I was on a celebrity Cruise a few months ago.... And the coffee wasn't what I would call great even in the coffee shop, but it was something.
I've never been on a cruise but the B&W instant will beat the vast majority of "regular coffee" experiences.

Mbb wrote:When I backpack and take coffee...... I usually have little packets of Folgers instant coffee. I've tried others I've tried Starbucks via, it's complete garbage. It's micro ground coffee grounds and all. Regular Starbucks sucks, via sucks worse.

Real kinds of instant coffee are coffee that's been evaporated and freeze dried and you just reconstitute... The desirable portion of coffee.
I'm sure not going to defend Starbuck's VIA as being anything great (it's not) but it is in fact "real" instant coffee, made by freeze-drying coffee liquid. They do add a small amount of microground coffee to the mixture. You would find the same thing in a shot of espresso, a cup of presspot, moka coffee, Aeropress coffee, etc.

Mbb wrote:It is certainly not a problem to bring a pour over set up with you for a week, especially with the big luggage people bring on cruise ships.
I'm in the same boat, so to speak, in that the vast majority of travel circumstances allow me to bring gear for brewing coffee. All my stuff fits in a padded bag about the size of a small football. It's really only when backpacking that instant makes sense for me. And in that context VIA keeps winning the contest when I do side by side comparisons. The B&W instant would be part of my backpacking plan were it not for the cost and what I expect is a limited shelf life. Folgers? I haven't tasted that product in at least 20 years. Has it improved since then?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#32: Post by baldheadracing »

Starbucks VIA Veranda Blend ("True North" in Canada) is the best of the VIA's to me, as it is relatively less roasty.

(Veranda is called "True North" in Canada because it is their blend that is closest to the medium-dark roasts that are most popular in Canada.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
jpender

#33: Post by jpender »

baldheadracing wrote:Starbucks VIA Veranda Blend... ...is their blend that is closest to the medium-dark roasts that are most popular in Canada.)
Isn't that kind of like saying that Saturn is closer to Earth than Uranus?

I keep hoping that someone makes an affordable classic Italian style instant that is of the same quality as the B&W instants. That seems like it should be the easiest style to emulate in instant form. And it would probably go better with my typical backpacking fare. When I think of instant coffee I'm generally not looking for a single origin, light roast, third wave experience. I'm thinking: "What coffee would pair best with a cold frosted pop-tart"?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#34: Post by baldheadracing »

jpender wrote:Isn't that kind of like saying that Saturn is closer to Earth than Uranus
Yes, but the burnt-ash note that I don't like in other regular Starbucks coffees like Pike Place isn't there - or perhaps just much less reduced. (Whenever I go to my local Starbucks (for social reasons), I get whatever they have for their Clover.)

As for cold frosted pop-tarts, I'd want some dairy in my coffee. There are shelf-stable little creamers/milkettes. Then again, I'd wrap the pop-tart in some foil and heat it up ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jpender

#35: Post by jpender »

baldheadracing wrote:Yes, but the burnt-ash note that I don't like in other regular Starbucks coffees like Pike Place isn't there - or perhaps just much less reduced.
I'm not sure why but I haven't tried it. I usually just rely on the sugar I add as well as the granola or other sweet food I'm usually eating to balance the bitterness. But I'll have to give the Veranda a go.

baldheadracing wrote:As for cold frosted pop-tarts, I'd want some dairy in my coffee. There are shelf-stable little creamers/milkettes. Then again, I'd wrap the pop-tart in some foil and heat it up ...
I used to buy these little things called "Mini Moo". But they do have a shelf life and I found I was throwing too many away. So I gave it up. Same with Pop Tarts actually. There was a weeklong ski tour I took them on for breakfasts and the second morning I woke up and realized I never wanted to eat one again.

D_Prince (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by D_Prince (original poster) »

Thanks for the repliers who actually answered the questions I answered. Thanks for nothing for the people who decided to tell me to do something different. I don't need you to tell me that pour-over is not too much work. I did it before and I didn't want to repeat the experience. You likely also didn't have 2 kids (4 & 7) in tow, back off the judgement people. I have a tendency to agree with Hoffman and coffee is not just about taste it's an experience and when brewing becomes laborious it detracts from the enjoyment. My home setup if perfect for home. I wasn't home and had enough crap between the four of us to need another thing to pack.

The regular coffee on the boat got another check from me. One sip and I was correct, complete trash and undrinkable. I bought Waka and Verve instants. Ship cups were on the smaller side and Waka is better suited to the smaller size. Verve was a bit too concentrated with smaller size and diluting it to the right strength was impossible with the cups on board without severe awkwardness, and messiness, of mixing between cups.

There were two espresso shops on the boat. One had a single dose setup. I was surprised, but it was actually decent. Not free or amazing, but it was decent and for that I was highly appreciative.

So in conclusion both instants were much more enjoyable than the bad drip on board. Neither required cream to soften at the proper dilutions. I can't say that for the VIA I've bought before. Waka might be my standby for cruising going forward.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#37: Post by Milligan »

Thought about this thread today while on vacation. Stayed at a hotel and the coffee was undrinkable. Tasted like burnt wood, zero acidity, and a lingering ashy taste. They also managed to layer in a stale coffee flavor from not properly washing their brew equipment.

I brought some B&W packets with me and they have been a life saver. They are quite enjoyable when not directly comparing to a pour over of exceptional beans. I could have brought an Aeropress, beans and a hand grinder but will not have consistent access to near boiling water so decided on instant.

I think I'd rather have caffeine pills stirred into hot water than ever have coffee like that hotel served.