Best AFFORDABLE coffee roasters in the US?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chockfullofbutts

#1: Post by chockfullofbutts »

Hi all,
Since the Happy Mug site is down for the 2nd week in a row as they relocate, I wonder if anyone else has some affordable roasters they could recommend.
I'm in NYC and the price for 12 oz of coffee from a roaster here has crept over $20 for a single origin and to be honest, it's not always stuff that blows me away.

Ypuh

#2: Post by Ypuh »

That's €60 for 1 kg, geez. In my mind I was already complaining that my greens went up €9'ish to €11'ish per kilo after roasting (you have to calculate for a 15% loss in weight).

There are a lot more costs involved than just the greens though, even for homeroasters (equipment, electricity, rent/space, bags etc.) but anything over €30-35 per roasted kilo and it's losing its appeal to me.
I don't want a Decent

Iowa_Boy

#3: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I roast my own at this point, and I agree that many of the good roasters have increased pricing.
When I was previously buying roasted coffee, I thought a good value for blends and single origin was Kaldi's coffee roasters.
It probably won't blow you away, but I thought it was a solid value.
Black and white was my favorite roaster, but definitely about the $20 price point if looking for single origin.

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

Ypuh wrote:That's €60 for 1 kg, geez.
Right now the exchange rate is pretty close to €1 = $1. So at $20/lb a 1kg bag would be €44.

There is more affordable coffee available in the U.S. But maybe you won't like it?

Ypuh

#5: Post by Ypuh »

Seems I went wrong at the conversion from ounces to grams. I understand money more than weights ;-).

Luckily we have an abundance of quality roasters here in The Netherlands (I'd say at least 50) all within a 1-2h drive or next day delivery. We have no need to look outside, but if we do there's Germany, the UK, Norway to name a few. That all keeps the prices somewhat in check, but also then fresh beans start from approximately €20/$20 per kilo up to €35, sometimes €40.

Still I started roasting my own this year, but not so much to save money.
I don't want a Decent

BildoMcBaggins

#6: Post by BildoMcBaggins »

When I switched from Red Bird I started ordering Craig's Coffee because of proximity (one state up) and ease of hitting the free shipping minimum.
I get a 2.2lb of the espresso blend and a 12oz of whatever sounds good and that always meets the free ship.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

Note discussion on home roasting, i.e., not about buying affordable roasted coffee, moved to Inexpensive coffee roasting.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

chanty 77

#8: Post by chanty 77 »

baldheadracing wrote:Note discussion on roasting moved to Inexpensive coffee roasting.
Maybe I"m an idiot (don't answer that), but if someone is looking for best affordable roasters to perchance buy beans through, wouldn't this subject being moved to "Inexpensive Coffee Roasting" be confusing? Meaning, people might look under that topic who are actually roasting-- confusing the subject with how to roast inexpensively, not what the original poster meant--best affordable roaster to buy beans through?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

I've clarified the topic split rationale. Hope that helps!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

chanty 77

#10: Post by chanty 77 »

baldheadracing wrote:Note discussion on home roasting, i.e., not about buying affordable roasted coffee, moved to Inexpensive coffee roasting.
Okay, gotcha. Thanks.