Beginner Friendly Espresso Blend

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mryanwalker

#1: Post by mryanwalker »

The rest of my beginner setup is arriving December 17, and I am so anxious to pull my first cup. I am looking for a reliable coffee to start with. It doesn't have to knock my socks off, but I want it to be a bean that when you get everything right you know it. I am planning to order 2-3 pounds, because I have no idea how much coffee I'll eat through in the dial-in process.

SiempreTuParceroMike

#2: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike »

I think the various types of Kimbo bags/cans would do the trick based on what you described. Artisan it is not. Easy to work with it is.

Advertisement
Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

mryanwalker wrote:... I want it to be a bean that when you get everything right you know it....
I think that means you need to find an espresso that fits a flavor profile you like. So what do you like? You don't want to doubt the freshness of the coffee, which is the only problem with Italian big bag coffees. Will you drink with milk, hot water or as espresso? If definitely milk, then the Italian big bag is another good starter. But if with hot water or as espresso then maybe something like Velton's Bonsai Blend reviewed last year, here. See Jim Schulman's comments. While you are at it I suggest a bag of his Holiday Blend. It is always nice.
LMWDP #198

Blacktip

#4: Post by Blacktip »

Kimbo Superior and Kimbo Bar are great as Italian style espresso. Kimbo Bar is what most Italian Cafes use in Italy. Filicori Zecchini and Trinidad are also very good. Trinidad is sweeter and has a lot of caramel flavor. Filicori is very chocolaty with copious amount of crema. All of the above are very easy to pull, forgiving, and reasonably priced.

SiempreTuParceroMike

#5: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike replying to Blacktip »

Hm, I've never tried Filicori. Do you order it directly from their site?

sosha
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by sosha »

Whenever I get a new machine, I always get a 5# bag of Redbird Espresso. Affordable and fairly easy to dial in.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Blacktip

#7: Post by Blacktip »

SiempreTuParceroMike wrote:Hm, I've never tried Filicori. Do you order it directly from their site?
It is available from WholeLatteLove. Also, all of the coffee I mentioned freeze and stay good for long long time. I divide into mason jars, freeze, and alternate every 4-5 days.

Advertisement
lancealot

#8: Post by lancealot »

Redbird Espresso or Redbird Blue Jag. Best price if you just buy a 5lb bag, which is nice to have on hand when you have new gear. Just do a forum search and learn how to freeze it and you'll be all set.
Roasted fresh and shipped priority mail the next day - can't say that about Kimbo. Cheap and cheerful, good quality, easy going, very forgiving.

Though this comment from you makes me confused:
.. I want it to be a bean that when you get everything right you know it...
It makes it sound like you want something that is hard to dial in / not very forgiving / has a very narrow range of parameters when it is actually good.
Is that what you mean?

LK

#9: Post by LK »

I'll second the Red Bird Espresso. You will get a nice chocolate shot for espresso or milk drinks. Starting can be hit or miss and this is a very good price performer, that provides great results.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by RockyIII »

I think Caffè Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo is a great blend to use with a new machine. It is a medium roast from Brazil, and the tasting notes are chocolate, caramel, and Brazil nut. I would work on getting good shots with that or something similar before attempting a lighter fruity roast.

Rocky