Beginner Friendly Espresso Blend - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MNate

Postby MNate » Dec 06, 2018, 9:31 pm

I'll fourth Redbird. It is what it is no matter the parameters you accidentally or on purpose use. And it's cheap! And it tastes like an average drinker expects espresso to taste like. My wife wishes I'd go back to it, I think.

BildoMcBaggins

Postby BildoMcBaggins » replying to MNate » Dec 06, 2018, 10:18 pm

Also a big fan. And it is my wife's favorite as a cappuccino drinker. Every time I put something else in the hopper I get a dirty look, and "what is this?", when she takes the first sip, haha!

Chert

Postby Chert » Dec 06, 2018, 10:21 pm

At least, not unless you know you like that Redbird profile. 5 # is a lot of coffee. a 1 kg bag of an Italian blend would be a better gamble, in my opinion.
Abolish single use plastics.

mkrissel

Postby mkrissel » Dec 06, 2018, 10:31 pm

mryanwalker wrote:The rest of my beginner setup is arriving December 17, and I am so anxious to pull my first cup. I am looking for a reliable coffee to start with. It doesn't have to knock my socks off, but I want it to be a bean that when you get everything right you know it. I am planning to order 2-3 pounds, because I have no idea how much coffee I'll eat through in the dial-in process.

My local roaster has a great espresso blend that is easy to dial in and just a all round great espresso straight, in milk or as a americano. I use a 20 grams in, 30 grams out in 30 seconds at 200 degree water temp. I find it is at its best between 7 and 12 days after roast.

https://wakecoffee.com/products/bromo-espresso

Enjoy!

BildoMcBaggins

Postby BildoMcBaggins » Dec 06, 2018, 10:47 pm

Chert wrote:-1.

At least, not unless you know you like that Redbird profile. 5 # is a lot of coffee. a 1 kg bag of an Italian blend would be a better gamble, in my opinion.

It can also be purchased in 1# bags.

mryanwalker

Postby mryanwalker » Dec 06, 2018, 11:49 pm

Blacktip wrote:Kimbo Superior and Kimbo Bar are great as Italian style espresso. Kimbo Bar is what most Italian Cafes use in Italy. Filicori Zecchini and Trinidad are also very good. Trinidad is sweeter and has a lot of caramel flavor. Filicori is very chocolaty with copious amount of crema. All of the above are very easy to pull, forgiving, and reasonably priced.

How fresh is this if you get it in the states? I keep hearing about the HORRORS of using beans that are more than two weeks or so past the roast date.

SiempreTuParceroMike

Postby SiempreTuParceroMike » Dec 07, 2018, 1:49 am

I'll second the notion of 5 lb. bags being scary. I don't even like buying 2 lbs. at a time. I much prefer to buy smaller quantities and wish more roasters would sell smaller bags.
eager and self-proclaimed newbie

www.michaelckregler.com

Chert

Postby Chert » Dec 07, 2018, 1:52 am

Here is one of quite a few threads about the heresy of beans beyond one month out still producing good coffee, the italian way: 2 month old Kimbo from Italy produces great espresso. I'm confused!. Some of us really like the selections imported and stored a while, others not so much.
Abolish single use plastics.

Climb14er

Postby Climb14er » Dec 07, 2018, 2:05 am

Just this evening received a five pound bag of Redbird which gets broken down into quart zip locks, then into gallon ziplocks, all freezer bags. I've always found Redbird fairly straight forward to dial in and I use it for double shots, lattes and French Press. Been drinking Redbird for quite a few years and have found the Northern Italian roast to my liking.My friends enjoy it also as they come around on the occasional morning. Shipping and delivery via Priority, Bozeman to Denver, two days. Nice!

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Dec 07, 2018, 5:48 am

Illy medium roast, whole bean. (red label can). It has a shelf life of up to 24 months, so shop around until you find some with an expiration far into the future.

Illy is available world-wide, very consistent and honestly, it makes a decent cup of coffee and is easy to work with.