B&W Classic espresso blend and freezing

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

I'm really sorry if I am supposed to put this topic elsewhere, but it kind of covers two things so confused. I have on and off been using B&W Classic blend for a couple years now. I typically have my grinder set at a place that has always made 99% of my blends 'happy'. I just recently started freezing my beans (that I'm not using right away) in two Hefty freezer slider bags (TWO). Maybe freezing for the last 6 months. I mark the unopened, taped over valve bag with the day post roast that I froze it.

First time I froze the Classic, and noticed that I had to increase the dosage from 17g to 19g (one shot was a sink shot). It ran fast, too fast. I count the seconds at first drip. Normally, it is about 5-10 seconds to first drip. On the 3 shots I made today with the Classic, they were too fast, quick to blonde & 3 seconds (too fast) at first drip. It was 7 days post roast when I started using it today. Only 12 days in the freezer.

Prior to freezing this particular roast, it was consistent at 17-18g, 8-10 seconds to first drip, nice even slower (but not too slow) flow. I'm wondering if some roasts just don't do as well with freezing. I've frozen other blends and did not notice this fast flowing at 3 seconds to first drip. Maybe since B&W has a great free shipping at I believe $35, I should just buy two 12oz. bags at a time, and just not freeze the one. I go through two 12oz. bags in 16-18 days. Of course that is from about 7-8 days post roast on the first bag--so the second bag would be at about 15-16 days when I open it & 22-23 days post roast by the time I finish it.

Advertisement
chanty 77 (original poster)

#2: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Since no one replyed as of yet---so this is what I think:

B&W probably doesn't like freezing. I have used the Classic roast enough to know it is pretty consistent at 7-8 days post roast of 16.8-17g, 25-30 seconds out. First time I froze B&W's beans, and The Classic at 7 days post roast (unfroze) 17g is fast running--not a gusher--but too fast of a flow. A day later, already up to 21g & still too fast of a flow.

Since I've ordered & used B&W's Classic more than a few times--I know that what is happening now with the way too fast flow & using A LOT more grams of beans per double seems to fall in line with something that must've happened from the freezing process.

P.S. I have frozen other companies' beans with no issues, so I doubt that it is my freezer.

BodieZoffa

#3: Post by BodieZoffa »

I'd imagine/hope you do understand that things can change day/day, even batch/batch with the same coffee. Lots of variables at play, especially humidity with weather fluctuations, that sort of thing. Before home roasting I used to buy lots of coffees in 5# bulk and never had much variation pound after pound. I did make the effort to vacuum seal/deep freeze in Mason jars and found the FoodSaver lid attachment to be quite good for doing that. No solid idea if vacuum sealing made that much difference with jars, but it worked consistently well for my use so why not?!?

Will also say I've never used any machine/basket that needed such a drastic dose change like the 4~ grams you mention. Instead of making that much change are you at least grinding finer to slow flow? Freezing aspect alone shouldn't cause very much variation in such a short period of time that you use it.

ziggomatic

#4: Post by ziggomatic »

I've experienced a similar situation in freezing some beans from B&W a couple months ago (original & holiday blends). I had them dialed in super well on my setup, yet once they came out of the freezer they were far off the same results, and I could never really pull great shots with them again.

I don't think this has anything to do with B&W's coffees, as they are probably the most consistently great coffee roaster I have ever found. For me I now have a higher quality equipment setup that really magnifies what could be happening when freezing beans.

Are you vacuum sealing the beans going in the freezer? Or keeping them at normal pressure and just using sealed containers?

I will say that I experience a sweet spot in B&W's coffees right at the 21 day post-roast mark, right now I have bags of original and holiday blend at 23 days and they are pulling absolutely delicious. Just slightly less crema overall vs 14 day, but I find sweeter and better balanced overall. B&W recommends waiting till 14 days post roast, as this is how they serve in their cafes. And they also say they get fantastic results with some coffees 30 days post roast.

This experience has sort of shown me that my years of obsession over keeping coffee as absolutely fresh as possible has maybe been a bit of a myth, as I am clearly able to produce excellent results even 1 month out from roasting date (which I don't often hit and usually finish them before this point). The 1-month results for me are much better tasting than what I am trying to get post-freezing beans.

#5: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

BodieZoffa wrote:I'd imagine/hope you do understand that things can change day/day, even batch/batch with the same coffee. Lots of variables at play, especially humidity with weather fluctuations, that sort of thing. Before home roasting I used to buy lots of coffees in 5# bulk and never had much variation pound after pound. I did make the effort to vacuum seal/deep freeze in Mason jars and found the FoodSaver lid attachment to be quite good for doing that. No solid idea if vacuum sealing made that much difference with jars, but it worked consistently well for my use so why not?!?

Will also say I've never used any machine/basket that needed such a drastic dose change like the 4~ grams you mention. Instead of making that much change are you at least grinding finer to slow flow? Freezing aspect alone shouldn't cause very much variation in such a short period of time that you use it.
Will also say I've never used any machine/basket that needed such a drastic dose change like the 4~ grams you mention. Instead of making that much change are you at least grinding finer to slow flow? Freezing aspect alone shouldn't cause very much variation in such a short period of time that you use it. I've gone as fine as I can go without the burrs touching, so I have no choice but to add more grams. If it was doing this with every roast I used (and I switch around for flavor changes), I would point to my grinder, but it's not.

#6: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

ziggomatic wrote:I've experienced a similar situation in freezing some beans from B&W a couple months ago (original & holiday blends). I had them dialed in super well on my setup, yet once they came out of the freezer they were far off the same results, and I could never really pull great shots with them again.

I don't think this has anything to do with B&W's coffees, as they are probably the most consistently great coffee roaster I have ever found. For me I now have a higher quality equipment setup that really magnifies what could be happening when freezing beans.

Are you vacuum sealing the beans going in the freezer? Or keeping them at normal pressure and just using sealed containers?

I will say that I experience a sweet spot in B&W's coffees right at the 21 day post-roast mark, right now I have bags of original and holiday blend at 23 days and they are pulling absolutely delicious. Just slightly less crema overall vs 14 day, but I find sweeter and better balanced overall. B&W recommends waiting till 14 days post roast, as this is how they serve in their cafes. And they also say they get fantastic results with some coffees 30 days post roast.

This experience has sort of shown me that my years of obsession over keeping coffee as absolutely fresh as possible has maybe been a bit of a myth, as I am clearly able to produce excellent results even 1 month out from roasting date (which I don't often hit and usually finish them before this point). The 1-month results for me are much better tasting than what I am trying to get post-freezing beans.
Are you vacuum sealing the beans going in the freezer? Or keeping them at normal pressure and just using sealed containers? No, I use the double zip lock freezer bags & tape over the valve (see above). I only have one (two double shots) cappuccino a day. That is all my system can handle, so don't think it is worth buying a vacuum sealer.

I may just order 2 bags from them at a time if their shipping is still a good deal & leave them out of the freezer--see how that goes. I love their coffee--think they do a great job.

yatesd

#7: Post by yatesd »

I'll just share my basic system. I buy 5lb bags from any reputable place that ships the same day they roast via priority mail.

So my coffee arrives within 3-days ready to use. I do sometimes need to vary settings, but I simply shove the bag in the freezer, and pull out 1/2 lb at a time (hopper capacity). I usually go through this in 4-5 weeks. No issues and 5lb bags usually makes a big difference in my overall costs.

My only frustration is that most vendors were using resealable bags. Now, almost no one does. So as I use it down, I just roll it up keeping air to a minimum and seal with a chip bag clip. It works, but not ideal.

Advertisement

#8: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to yatesd »

Interesting. I tape over the valve, put it in 2 plastic ziplock bags & try my best to swoosh out the air closing it (yah, I know, not gonna get all of it out) & still seemed totally unlike it used to be (the B&W). Yes, maybe it has something to do with the beans this time. Flavor is still there (love B&W), but just runs too fast--even with more grams of beans. Can't go finer on my grinder cuz when I do I hear noise (assuming the burrs are then starting to touch). It's easier to add more grams than wear the burrs down. If I LOVED a particular roast blend, I might give it a try, but two things: 1. I like to try different blends or hop from one that I love to another I really like for the next time. 2. How do you not have problems without even putting it in a freezer bag or vacuum or mason jar? Maybe your freezer is better than ours. All I can stick it in is our Whirpool fridge/freezer that is about 8 years old.

coffeedog

#9: Post by coffeedog »

For many years I've been breaking up 5 lb. bags into 12-16 oz. vacuum containers or Foodsaver bags and freezing.

I was told for freezer storage:
1. Keep condensation off the beans by using airtight containers/bags.
2. Allow them to come to room temperature before opening.

I have not had any change in dosage or flow - it's like opening a new bag. I haven't frozen any B&W though and I doubt any of my bean stash has ever gone more than 6-9 months in the freezer.
Also, I bag them immediately upon receipt. When I am running low, I pull one from the freezer and put into the airpot to rest, usually around 5 days prior depending on the roast.
Steve
LMWDP #731

limonengelb

#10: Post by limonengelb »

i've noticed that if I pull my vacuum bags from the freezer a few days to a week before I use them, my dosing and times don't really change. If I pull them and start using the next day, the shots run fast for a few days and gradually come back. This is with B&W Natural.