Are You Drinking "Returned" Coffee? - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#21: Post by chanty 77 »

Graymatters wrote:Frankly, this "returned" merchandise issue is easily circumvented by simply refusing the shipment in the first place - the OP was given notice while the beans were still in transit.
How could the OP refuse the shipment if it was already in transit? Coffee doesn't typically need a signature when USPS is delivering it, so unless you see the mail person arriving, it's gonna be delivered.

jpender

#22: Post by jpender »

c. Mail Refused After Delivery. After delivery, an addressee may mark a piece of mail "Refused" and return it within a reasonable time if the mail or any attachment is not opened, except for mail listed in 611.1c(1) and 611.1c(2).
https://about.usps.com/what-we-are-doin ... on-611.pdf

erik82

#23: Post by erik82 »

jpender wrote:I don't know about the legality but it seems like bad business to resell returned food items. Who knows what the storage conditions were? Granted, that can be an issue with delivery as well but a consumer could have frozen the beans and then left them in the trunk of their car on a really hot day. Would that matter with your coffee? As a business I would think it better to absorb that cost, particularly in this case as it was the error of the business in the first place.

I would send them the correct beans along with an apology and let them keep the others as a gift.
So you always drive to the roaster and pick up your coffee personally? You also don't know how the postal services treat your coffee but we do know they don't handle it with the care you would do yourself. And still you probably order beans online so if this is how you think then you shouldn't order online.

And we're talking here about a roaster that had asked to return it while it was still in transit so the receiving party knew what was to be expected. If it was one week after it was delivered then it's a whole different story of course.

And from a roasters point of view they would probably have had the OP kept the beans if it weren't for some very rare and expensive varieties being sent. They only have so much in stock and maybe couldn't even deliver to the person that paid and ordered them specifically as the roaster might not have enough left. So in this case I understand the point of view of the roaster.

Graymatters

#24: Post by Graymatters »

chanty 77 wrote:How could the OP refuse the shipment if it was already in transit? Coffee doesn't typically need a signature when USPS is delivering it, so unless you see the mail person arriving, it's gonna be delivered.
In addition to the aforementioned link/quote, I've found a Post-it Note on the mail box to work.
LMWDP #726

HB
Admin

#25: Post by HB »

I think we're cycling on steps 2-4 of the "Public complaints about customer service" documented in the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion. This thread is closed. If the OP has something more to offer, please contact me and I'll reopen the thread. Thanks.
Dan Kehn