Anyone using Northbound Coffee Roasters? - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Petraidm (original poster)

#61: Post by Petraidm (original poster) »

Coffee_hound wrote:Anybody with updates on dialing in this years Coffee Lover blend.
Just opened a bag this week and still trying to dial in.
First couple shots ran way too fast. This coffee seems to require finer grind then other medium blends from North bound.
Tightened the grind and tried 15.5g in to 32g out.
Also tried even finer grind with 15.5g in to 20g out. So far the shorter shots seem better with more pronounced sweetness.
I started with this:
17.5 Grams in 27 grams out
Coffee Temperature 201 F
Infuse at 3 bar until 2 grams in cup
Extract at 9 bar or 1.2 ML / sec maxi (whichever is controlling with expectations it reaches 9 bar and declines by the end)
Total time ~ 55 secs (infusion time will be greater than extraction time)

Northbound is extracting with this recipe (which I have not tried yet):
Grouphead temp = 201 F
18 grams in, 38 grams out
28 second pull time

Brewbom

#62: Post by Brewbom »

Northbound is rad!! we love them and highly recommend them as well!

jpender

#63: Post by jpender »

My local market stopped carrying their coffees. I wonder why? I'll have to ask them.

CSME9

#64: Post by CSME9 »

Tried their Prana espresso not the AB roast with a coupon code, it was OK. Didn't have the mouthfeel & chocolate notes I favor. It was better and less expensive espresso than most of the other vendors i have tried that advertise here .

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by baristainzmking »

I am going through the 2 lb bag of Prana espresso and am a bit underwhelmed. I am not getting much or any dark chocolate....sigh.
Julia

spressomon

#66: Post by spressomon »

Julia, I've been using Prana (10-days post roast) for the past few days at home using the Slayer. Just pulled a shot, 16g dose (IMS 24.5 basket) 195º brew temp setting (I have not Scace'd the Slayer), pre-brew/pre-infuse to 2.0g in cup then full brew to 19g espresso, total contact time of 58 seconds, that is one of the sweetest shots I've ever pulled...with any beans. Huge chocolate notes, along with some nutmeg & spice notes (cedar as NB suggests?).

At 200ºF brew temp setting, the resulting espresso, is substantially less sweet and getting into a roast level I don't enjoy. The key to culling out tastiness with these beans is using lower brew water temp and shorter ratios.
No Espresso = Depresso

NicoNYC

#67: Post by NicoNYC »

I'm near the end of a 2lb bag of American Beauty and I've quite enjoyed it. It's very forgiving, my good shots strike a great balance of chocolatey base and light fruit. I have 2 new bags on their way that I'm very excited to try.

Just a few days ago I called them to ask a quick question about their Trimmers Delight. I ended up talking to Keith for about 15 minutes about a number of their coffees and just about coffee and espresso in general.
LMWDP #718

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#68: Post by baristainzmking »

spressomon wrote:Julia, I've been using Prana (10-days post roast) for the past few days at home using the Slayer. Just pulled a shot, 16g dose (IMS 24.5 basket) 195º brew temp setting (I have not Scace'd the Slayer), pre-brew/pre-infuse to 2.0g in cup then full brew to 19g espresso, total contact time of 58 seconds, that is one of the sweetest shots I've ever pulled...with any beans. Huge chocolate notes, along with some nutmeg & spice notes (cedar as NB suggests?).

At 200ºF brew temp setting, the resulting espresso, is substantially less sweet and getting into a roast level I don't enjoy. The key to culling out tastiness with these beans is using lower brew water temp and shorter ratios.
Thanks so much for a detailed response. I just set my Bianca to 195. I am hoping to hit those chocolate and spice notes! :D
Julia

spressomon

#69: Post by spressomon »

For those that haven't tried the latest batch of Prana, I just pulled some shots that were roasted on February 6th. Although I don't have photos of last year's Prana blend, this year's Prana appears lighter in overall roast color. And, I had to grind finer to keep the espresso "pulling" perimeters the same compared to last year's Prana, also signifying a change of some sort from NB. Flavor is similar although not as bold/big/punchy even though the profile flavors are still present. More post roast aging might bring it home; anyone's guess right now.

I contacted Keith at NB asking if there was a change and sure enough, this batch is using a current crop of Brazil beans starting around the New Year. Whereas the Prana I purchased last fall was the previous year's Brazil crop.

It will be interesting to taste how the current Prana taste profile changes over the next week or so...

Just an FYI/FWIW.
No Espresso = Depresso

salvia

#70: Post by salvia »

Anyone else order this months Headstash offering (a natural from Mt. Elgon in Uganda)?
I've got 5 pounds on the way. 8)