Anyone using Northbound Coffee Roasters? - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Petraidm (original poster)

#51: Post by Petraidm (original poster) »

spressomon wrote: I was able to tame the heavy/over the top Sumatra presence using the IMS 24.5 along with amping up the milk chocolate component and ended up with a very drinkable espresso for my short cappuccinos (more like a Flat White0. There is very mild fruit flavor, just enough to add a little sweetness and more/less round out the earthiness from the Sumatra and play well with the milk chocolate.
I too have been able to get very drinkable coffee using parameters similar to you but I can't say I am getting much if any milk chocolate components. I am using the decent D-flow profile: 16.5g:29grm; infusion at 201F/3bar until 2 gram drips then limiting extraction flow to 1.3 ML/sec at 203F. I grind fine enough to get 9.1 bar for at least the first 5-10 seconds of extraction.

spressomon

#52: Post by spressomon »

^ What grinder?
No Espresso = Depresso

#53: Post by Petraidm (original poster) replying to spressomon »

Niche Zero

#54: Post by Petraidm (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:Not my favorite bean blend but no buyer's remorse either. Having said that I'm looking forward to my perennial favorite from Northbound, which should be available sometime within the month or two: Coffee Lover.
Based on the praises you sing for this, I ordered 5Lbs of "Coffee Lover" today. What's you favorite extraction parameters with this blend?

spressomon

#55: Post by spressomon »

David, I have not bought the 2024/current Coffee Lover but will do so soon. FWIW, a year ago, I used these perimeters: 17.5g dose in a ridged IMS Comp 26.5 basket, 24g +/- espresso using pre-brew until 2 grams in cup then full brew so total contact time is 50-55 seconds.
No Espresso = Depresso

lancealot

#56: Post by lancealot »

Anyone tried this year's coffee lover? How does it compare to the past two years?

Ben Z.

#57: Post by Ben Z. »

I just got 2# each of CL and AB. Unfortunately, have no basis for comparison with previous years. I can say that it's very enjoyable and a fantastic bargain. Under $16/lb shipped is tough to beat.

spressomon

#58: Post by spressomon »

NB just announced they brought back Tiger Rose. I think last time it was available was 6 years ago. Another favorite of mine from them.
No Espresso = Depresso

Coffee_hound

#59: Post by Coffee_hound »

I had a surprising experience with last order of Lamplighter. I bought 2lbs just before Thanksgiving. Was intending to use for drip for a holiday crowd but ended up just making a dozen cups with aeropress. Taste profile was similar to what I had with the first bag. Bold, earthy, with heavy body and a bit of fruit and acidity in the background. I ended up splitting the final 2/3 of the bag into a couple mason jars and freezing. Just pulled it out and started using it up this time pulling as espresso. The sweetness and fruit were much more prominent and I was enjoying these shots very much as flat whites and Americans. Beans were probably around 18 days post roast when they went in the freezer. I'm not sure what changed. I dialed in with my notes from before and haven't changed much but really enjoying the results more. If anything the only change I may have made is to pull a slightly longer ratio and I try to keep the flow rate a bit higher than normal. 16g in to 36g out in around 27s.

Coffee_hound

#60: Post by Coffee_hound »

Anybody with updates on dialing in this years Coffee Lover blend.
Just opened a bag this week and still trying to dial in.
First couple shots ran way too fast. This coffee seems to require finer grind then other medium blends from North bound.
Tightened the grind and tried 15.5g in to 32g out.
Also tried even finer grind with 15.5g in to 20g out. So far the shorter shots seem better with more pronounced sweetness.