Anyone using Northbound Coffee Roasters? - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spressomon

#41: Post by spressomon »

^^^ Prana is delicious at/near 195ºF brew water temp for espresso. Loving their Ethiopia Agaro Gera Duromina #7 (espresso).
No Espresso = Depresso

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by StoicDude »

Thanks Dan!
Any suggestions for the Ethiopia?

spressomon

#43: Post by spressomon replying to StoicDude »

200F, 18.5g in an 18g VST basket, typical Slayer shot: Pre-brew until 2.0g in cup then full brew to 32-36g in cup. Their flavor notes plus rich & creamy with mild citrus finish. I like to let these beans rest at least 2-weeks before using them and 18-21 days seems to be peak.
No Espresso = Depresso

jpender

#44: Post by jpender »

What about the Uganda? Any suggestions for that one? I couldn't get that one to work for me and still have half a bag in my freezer.

spressomon

#45: Post by spressomon »

^ I tried their Uganda earlier this year, unfortunately the only note I made to myself: 'Hard/dense beans required fine grinder (MF @1.0, FWIW). More than likely, I used my typical Slayer shot perimeters: 18g dose using 18g VST basket, PB to about 2.0g in cup then full brew to 30-ish grams' of espresso (adjust subsequent ratio depending on taste).
No Espresso = Depresso

jpender

#46: Post by jpender »

Thanks. I don't usually drink coffee in the afternoon but I just pulled four taste-and-spit shots. I started out with a pretty fine grind and by the fourth shot had my grinder far into territory it had never seen other than when grinding for a cezve. It did improve, reducing the acidity and slightly dulling the stale grain flavor. But it was still not something I relished. A shame since the baker's chocolate was evident even in the aroma of the beans. Maybe I didn't age it long enough? It was 14 days at room temperature and it's been in the freezer about six weeks.

As a final step I cupped it. In that form it was more or less drinkable: bland and watery, especially in comparison to the shots. Kind of like a cup of weak tea. I don't know, maybe this coffee just wasn't for me or my equipment. Oh well, win some, lose some.

spressomon

#47: Post by spressomon »

First short cappuccino using the Lamplighter beans @ 8-days post roast: 17.5g in (18g VST), 34.5g out using typical Slayer shot (prebrew to 2.0g in cup,~25 seconds for this one, then full brew to 34.5g espresso). Taste is definitely Sumatra forward/heavy and not getting anything pronounced from the Ethiopia nor chocolate nor sweet; taste profile is compressed leading me to believe these beans need at least another week and probably more, bench rest.

More work needed...
No Espresso = Depresso

Petraidm (original poster)

#48: Post by Petraidm (original poster) replying to spressomon »

Thanks! This is what I am getting but aging did not change it much for me. What temperature are you extracting at? I am going to start experimenting more in the ristretto range.

spressomon

#49: Post by spressomon replying to Petraidm »

"200ºF" on my Slayer (I have not Scaced it). Prana and similar dark roasts aside, its unusual not to be at least 2nd ring from the proverbial bullseye, with a majority of the beans I use at 200F (Caffe Lusso's Gran Miscela Carmo is another exception at 205F). Maybe, Lamplighter, isn't my "thing".
No Espresso = Depresso

spressomon

#50: Post by spressomon »

Started using Lamplighter every morning a few days ago (roasted on 12/11/23) and decided to switch from my 18g VST to an IMS Competition 24.5 along with a correspondingly coarser grind and a 16.5g dose. Brew perimeters are as before (typical Slayer shot) with an espresso end weight of 28.5g +/-. I tried lowering the brew water temp but finally settled on 202F.

I was able to tame the heavy/over the top Sumatra presence using the IMS 24.5 along with amping up the milk chocolate component and ended up with a very drinkable espresso for my short cappuccinos (more like a Flat White0. There is very mild fruit flavor, just enough to add a little sweetness and more/less round out the earthiness from the Sumatra and play well with the milk chocolate.

Not my favorite bean blend but no buyer's remorse either. Having said that I'm looking forward to my perennial favorite from Northbound, which should be available sometime within the month or two: Coffee Lover.
No Espresso = Depresso