Anyone using Northbound Coffee Roasters? - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Coffee_hound

#21: Post by Coffee_hound »

I bought oz each of the American Beauty, Lamplighter, and Prana.

Been pulling the American Beauty as espresso and milk drinks and really enjoying it. To me it's sweet with a chocolate finish, balanced. I opened the bag at 5 days post roast ( ran out of coffee) and I think it improved with a couple days extra rest. Still enjoying the last of the bag at 21 days post roast and it is great.

The Lamplighter I have used mainly for aeropress and it makes a "dark" roast type drink with just a bit of sweetness and fruit in acidity in the background. I think this is my first mocha java blend and really enjoying it. I tried pulling as espresso as well and in milk it's good. Prefer the American Beauty for espresso myself.

The Prana I was expecting something different based on the previous posts. The bag I have seems pretty dark with some oil on the beans. As espresso and aeropress the roast flavor is predominant and tends towards bitterness. I found downdosing 15.5g in and pulling short 20g out in 25s helps tame the bitter notes and makes for acceptable milk drinks I didn't open the bag till 20 days post roast and given the roast level I'm wondering if I missed the ideal window for these. I might try it again in the future but hard to give this another go given how much I enjoy the American Beauty and Lamplighter.

spressomon

#22: Post by spressomon »

Try pulling Prana at 195° & 3-10 days post roast.
No Espresso = Depresso

LVD

#23: Post by LVD »

cafeIKE wrote:American Beauty a few months back was superb for both espresso and drip.

Northbound is on the shortlist of repeat orders.

========================
Northbound
========================
coupon - BREWITYOURSELF
American Beauty
9 days post roast
Niche 17.5
IMS Double
16.2g, 216°F, 8.25bar, ≈30s fpo [from pump on]
Just wanted to double check the accuracy of the temperature you posted there. 216 or 206?

cafeIKE

#24: Post by cafeIKE »

216°F is boiler temperature.

Brew temperature is ≈ 197°F as measured with Eric's group thermometer.

LVD

#25: Post by LVD »

Thanks for the clarification!

salvia

#26: Post by salvia »

Northbound is also my go to roaster. I order five pound bags and freeze them in mason jars, which I single dose directly from the freezer.
I enjoy their seasonal blends Summer Shine (now finished for the season) and Coffee Lover not yet released.
I've currently been drinking their Guatemala La Ezperanza and am excited to have their November and December Headstash offerings on their way-a natural from Brazil and a Kenyan Peaberry.

jpender

#27: Post by jpender »

I ordered some coffee from these guys for the first time in several years. I missed the coupon code so I paid a little extra over what I would have for the order. It's not very much money but since it is available for anyone as long as they know to enter the code paying full price kind of makes me feel like a chump. Why not just lower the price instead? I guess they figure it attracts people but in my case it's more the other way around. I won't order again unless I have a discount code.

As for the coffee itself, the first bag I've opened (A. Beauty) isn't bad at all. There's a bit of a cereal/grain kind of aroma that I'm hoping to dial out of it. It doesn't ruin it, it's still a good cup, but it is a distraction.

SJM

#28: Post by SJM »

All you have to do is do a search here and the Northbound discount code is always available.

cafeIKE

#29: Post by cafeIKE »

jpender wrote:I won't order again unless I have a discount code.
Even at full price, their coffee is a bargain. I'm happy to have used the discount code, but now that I can't, no biggee.

One GREAT thing about them is accurate roast descriptions.
Many of my old goto roasters have fallen for the light roast insanity and they get ZERO of my dollars today.

spressomon

#30: Post by spressomon »

I don't normally use Northern Italian style beans (espresso), except when camping at 7500' and higher due to the lower boiling point of water (EspressoForge), but Northbound's Prana is really good IMO if you like that style of beans & roast. Just need to keep the brew water temp down to 195F and the espresso is thick, nutty and chocolatey.

And FYI/FWIW, Keith told me they do not use Robusta beans in any of their blends including Prana. And, another value added dealio with NB: All their beans, with the exception of their Headstash offerings, are certified organic.
No Espresso = Depresso