Any roasters offering "free shipping" with no minimum purchase?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
User avatar
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Jun 19, 2014, 3:25 pm

As the title suggests, here's a list of roasters offering "free shipping" with no minimum purchase.
I use scare quotes because roasters featuring such deals typically build shipping costs into the price of the coffees they sell, but we're all adults and can do the math for ourselves. Unless otherwise stated, please assume these deals are valid within CONUS only. Here's what I know of:

- Bar Nine, http://barnine.us/collections/all
- Barrett's, http://barrettscoffee.com/our-coffees/
- Case, https://www.casecoffeeroasters.com/collections/all
- Compelling, https://compelling.coffee/
- Copper Horse, http://www.copperhorsecoffee.com/
- Driven, https://www.drivencoffee.com/
- Flattop, http://flattopcoffee.com/collections/wh ... tch-roasts
- Hyperion, https://www.hyperioncoffee.com/
- Just Coffee Co-op, http://shop.justcoffee.coop/collections/coffee
- Linea Caffe, http://lineacaffe.com/shop/
- MaQUINA, https://www.maquinacoffee.com/coffee/?category=COFFEE
- Modest Coffee, http://www.modest-coffee.com/coffee/
- Mountain Air, http://mtnairroasting.com/shop/coffee/
- Novel, https://www.novelcoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee
- Peixoto, https://peixotocoffee.com/shop/
- Rise Up (NB: several negative reviews), http://riseupcoffee.com/product-category/coffee/
- Seven, https://www.sevencoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee
- Sterling, http://www.sterling.coffee/collections/ ... fees-daily
- Thirty-Thirty Coffee, http://www.thirty-thirtycoffee.com/shop/
- Velodrome, https://www.velodromecoffeecompany.com/ ... ons/coffee
- Voyage, http://www.voyagecoffee.com/coffee.html

Feel free to add to the list if/when you're able! Thanks much in advance.

Note that members without at least 90 days of membership history and 15 posts will find any of their posts recommending roasters flagged for moderation. This measure was requested by the powers that be in order to reduce spam for the forum.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias
★ Helpful

User avatar
beer&mathematics

Postby beer&mathematics » Jun 19, 2014, 3:42 pm

You work fast my friend! Thanks!

jbviau wrote:I use scare quotes because roasters featuring such deals typically build shipping costs into the price of the coffees they sell, but we're all adults and can do the math for ourselves.


I'm perfectly fine with roasters calculating shipping into their prices--in fact, I would expect this! Surely, we can all do the math, but I know for myself there is some strange psychological effect going on with shipping.

I haven't ordered from any of the coffees you linked to, but will soon! Put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. I just quickly checked their prices and seems perfectly reasonable to me. For being a mathematician, I hate having to do trivial calculations like calculating shipping. You tell me, for example, I can get a 12 oz Kenya from Verve for 19$ to my door and I feel ok with that. I must be mad. :oops:
LMWDP #431

User avatar
Bob_McBob

Postby Bob_McBob » Jun 19, 2014, 3:45 pm

Most Canadian roasters are going the other way, significantly increasing the minimum for free shipping. Transcend recently went from $35 to $48. Pilot gradually went from $26 to $43 over the last year.
Chris

BTD1986

Postby BTD1986 » Jun 19, 2014, 3:55 pm

beer&mathematics wrote:You work fast my friend! Thanks!



I'm perfectly fine with roasters calculating shipping into their prices--in fact, I would expect this! Surely, we can all do the math, but I know for myself there is some strange psychological effect going on with shipping.

I haven't ordered from any of the coffees you linked to, but will soon! Put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. I just quickly checked their prices and seems perfectly reasonable to me. For being a mathematician, I hate having to do trivial calculations like calculating shipping. You tell me, for example, I can get a 12 oz Kenya from Verve for 19$ to my door and I feel ok with that. I must be mad. :oops:



I disagree. If shipping is built into the price of every bag of coffee, then you will be paying much more when ordering several bags at once compared to a flat rate of $5 or so.

User avatar
beer&mathematics

Postby beer&mathematics » replying to BTD1986 » Jun 19, 2014, 4:12 pm

Personal preference, no? I would rather buy one 8-12oz bag from various roasters frequently than have to buy a bunch of bags from a single roaster. I guess I like shopping.
LMWDP #431

Bodka Coffee

Postby Bodka Coffee » Jun 19, 2014, 6:25 pm

BTD1986 wrote:I disagree. If shipping is built into the price of every bag of coffee, then you will be paying much more when ordering several bags at once compared to a flat rate of $5 or so.


Not if the price is "adjusted" for the following pounds. If I would sell a pound with shipping for $18, then I should sell 2 pounds for $31. I could sell up to 4 pounds by adding my base price of $13 per pound and then switch to a larger box. The fifth pound would add more than $13, more like $16. Does this make any sense? On rereading your question I see you said "If shipping is built into every bag of coffee". Yep. You are right.
Bodka Coffee Company
http://www.bodkacoffee.com
LMWDP #503

cmin

Postby cmin » Jun 19, 2014, 7:17 pm

Ones listed are the only ones I know of (actually never heard of squareup). I do have a list of quite a few places that do free shipping from $25-$30 which is generally for 2lbs from the roasters.

User avatar
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Jun 19, 2014, 8:47 pm

Bob_McBob wrote:Most Canadian roasters are going the other way, significantly increasing the minimum for free shipping. Transcend recently went from $35 to $48. Pilot gradually went from $26 to $43 over the last year.

Chris, I feel like I've seen that with certain U.S. roasters as well. The stars of this thread are obviously bucking the trend you mention. Verve's been offering free shipping for quite some time, while Populace just started offering it; Novel and Chromatic fall somewhere in between. Onyx used to offer free shipping across the board, too, but changed their policy a month ago or so.

beer&mathematics wrote:I would rather buy one 8-12oz bag from various roasters frequently than have to buy a bunch of bags from a single roaster. I guess I like shopping.

Agreed that sampling around is made easier when shipping is low/free, especially since not all of us drink enough coffee daily or have proper freezer resources at our disposal to justify larger orders that satisfy minimum purchase requirements.

Inspired by Bill's post here, I did a quick Excel analysis of the 4 roasters listed in the first post of this thread to determine average cost/oz. Here's what I found (no tax included; price is in USD):

Image

Not bad, right? The best deal of all of these coffees is Populace's Clutch Espresso. If you buy a kilo of Clutch, you'll be paying 93 cents/oz.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jpender

Postby jpender » Jun 19, 2014, 9:16 pm

cmin wrote:I do have a list of quite a few places that do free shipping from $25-$30 which is generally for 2lbs from the roasters.


I'd like to see that. Care to post it?

User avatar
yakster

Postby yakster » Jun 20, 2014, 1:19 pm

While it's not free, Greenway Coffee Company, http://www.greenwaycoffee.com/, offers shipping for only $1.00 and I've enjoyed the coffees I've ordered.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272