Another NYC light roast: Nicaragua Pacamará Ambar

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
guydebord

Postby guydebord » Apr 06, 2019, 12:24 am

Im currently playing with a phenomenal NYC light roast :D :D this time a Nicaragua Pacamará Ambar from Cafe Integral, 100% recommended: https://www.cafeintegral.com/shop-/coff ... enir-6gkz2

So far I have been putting 18.5g in - 36g out @30s 199F with the pressure profiling at a max 6.5bar and long smooth pre-infusion. Needless to say, super fine grind. This recipe is close to how the cafe does in their LM Strada.

This one might be an interesting challenge for those without a profiling machine, Im actually super interested to hear if a good shot is achievable and how.

This is the profiling graph they use:

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Apr 08, 2019, 2:16 am

I'd be willing to try it. Any idea what the Agtron number is for the whole and ground coffee?

Also - I see it is an anaerobic fermentation. I've tried a few of these and while they tend to be very soluble and have lots of flavors, there's something about the ones I've tried that I don't quite like.

michael

Postby michael » Apr 08, 2019, 8:28 am

I ordered over the weekend; it's scheduled to roast and ship today 8)

Iowa_Boy

Postby Iowa_Boy » Apr 08, 2019, 8:54 am

I am still a beginner, so forgive my naive question.
Don't lighter roasts generally benefit from higher temp rather than lower?
Just curious about the 199 temp.

guydebord

Postby guydebord » replying to Iowa_Boy » Apr 09, 2019, 10:12 am

As a general starting point, yes, but there are some light roasts that behave better at lower temps. If I sense a veggie like after-taste on a light roast at higher temps, I begin to lower the temp... Its never an easy thing with light roast, their behavior is very different, mostly depending on the development time and temperature they use while roasting...

Eliz

Postby Eliz » Apr 16, 2019, 2:20 am

nuketopia wrote:I'd be willing to try it. Any idea what the Agtron number is for the whole and ground coffee?

Also - I see it is an anaerobic fermentation. I've tried a few of these and while they tend to be very soluble and have lots of flavors, there's something about the ones I've tried that I don't quite like.

Have you tried this light roast?

Eliz

Postby Eliz » Apr 16, 2019, 2:23 am

I am gong to use this graph. Did you pre-infusion?

michael

Postby michael » Apr 16, 2019, 4:13 pm

I have this coffee resting to try this Friday and over the weekend

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated 8)

LBIespresso

Postby LBIespresso » replying to michael » Apr 17, 2019, 11:04 am

I ordered some as well. Looking forward to hearing others experience and will share mine.
I like coffee. I like coffee people. LMWDP #580

guydebord

Postby guydebord » Apr 17, 2019, 12:17 pm

I haven't fully tamed these beans but I'm getting closer. After experimenting with temperatures, I have decided to lock it at 93 celsius, 94 also worked, anything more brought too much intensity to an already intense Pacamará. I also lowered the dose to 18gr and locked it. And have also locked a long preinfussion at -1bar for around 22 seconds and I let the pressure rise naturally and never above 6bar, as soon as I am at 15 sec after the first drip I start to gradually lower the pressure until I have the desired 33-34gr out, usually around 23-26 seconds. At the moment, I am gradually making changes to the grind size towards coarser, but still very fine, I have been slightly moving up from almost Turkish.

These beans have been so much fun! I love these challenges and the reward it comes with in the cup. But they are definitely not for the non-adventurous 8) cant wait to read your experiences. I will be picking up another bag tomorrow.